Gunshots Chapter 80

I think I messed up how time passed in the book and might have mentioned in the past chapter and the few before that that Jesse was nine. I just looked up how old Carl would be in season 3, and he's thirteen so Jesse would be ten by now in the story. Just wanted to let you guys know in case you guys got confused about how old she is. She's about three years younger than Carl. 

Please Comment and vote. Thanks!

*****

I peer out of the window of the car at the prison. It's quiet, except for some walkers. The prison looks empty. No one's outside except for Maggie and Glenn who are hiding and waiting for the Governor and his people to arrive. 

I hug myself, worried about what's going to happen. Is someone going to die? Who's going to get hurt? When there's a fight like this, someone gets hurt. There's no maybe it's a who. 

I freeze when I hear a loud vehicle approach the prison. 

" Get down! " Hershel whispers to Carl and I, eyeing the military vehicles. 

The Governor and his minions shoot at the different parts of the prison, driving right through the open gates. A grenade is shot at one of the guard towers, completely demolishing the top part. 

They shoot at the prison, tearing apart the wood we set up and making dents in the cement walls. 

At least they cleared out most of the Walkers. 

The Governor climbs out of the car he's in. His people surround the cars, eyeing everywhere for one of us. They slowly walk towards the prison, one of the cars ramming into and opening the internal gate. They look around everywhere, obviously, they've been practicing. 

The Governor lowers his gun, gesturing for them to break open the cellblock door. One by one they hurry up the steps and cautiously enter the cell block. I lose track of them after the majority go inside while the others wait outside in case something happens. 

" Do you think they'll be alright? " I ask Carl quietly. I'm worried about everyone. What if one of our people gets hurt? What if someone dies? What if they find everyone? What if things go south? 

" Don't worry about it. They'll be alright. " Carl answers in monotone. His hand seems to be permanently glued on his gun today. I haven't seen him set it down once. 

I nod. Carl's older than me, he probably knows what's going on.

I heard bits and pieces of the plan, but not the whole thing. No one bothers to explain what's going on to me anymore. It's annoying but hey, I can't do anything about it. I've got no power. 

I look over at baby Judith, smiling at her adorable little face. She's so lucky. She doesn't have to worry about the world. She doesn't have to worry about what's going on. She doesn't have to fight. All she has to do is live. Live and grow older. Meanwhile, everyone else is stuck worrying about what we're going to eat for the next week or where we're going to live, and how to deal with people like The Governor. 

All of a sudden the prison alarms go off and screaming is heard. It's hard to hear what's going on over the gunfire that starts going off, produced by Glenn and Maggie, but it's still audible. One of the Governor's men tries to fire the military car machine gun thing but ends up jumping off and hurrying into one of the other cars with the rest of the Governor's people. They leave the prison, yelling at the driver to go faster. The Governor, visibly pressed, follows his people and gets into one of their cars. 

There's panting and a twig snaps. I turn my head to the source to see a boy a little older than Carl running and stopping in front of us. Carl and Hershel raise their guns, loading a bullet into the chamber in warning.