Mr. Bright Light Chapter 43

I hum happily to myself as I look farther down the trail I found. Wild bushes and plants are spilling onto the dirt path. It's hard to believe that walkers even exist when you're out here all alone with your thoughts. It's hard to believe anyone exists. It's to calm and peaceful and beautiful out here. The air is clean and has only the sounds of birds and bugs flying around. It's a little chilly out here, but I can handle it. Nothing bad. 

I walk into a clearing and smile at the beauty. There's a little lake thing in the middle and some branches that fell into it around the side. A big tree that fell lies a little farther away from me. The water is green, so I wouldn't trust it, but it's still pretty and relaxing. A branch cracks under my feet as I walk towards the fallen tree. A mouse scurries by and rushes to a hole. I sit down on the tree, next to a bed of moss and look at my surroundings. I like it here. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I finally leave the clearing after about an hour. I'm getting hot and really thirsty. My tummy rumbles in hunger as I stand up and brush some dirt off my jeans. I head back in the direction I came from. At least I think it's the direction I came from. 

I slowly walk towards the Greene house as I make my way out of the woods. People are gathered around the porch doing who knows what. Shane shoves something at a few of the adults. Guns. Why does he have guns? 

He kneels down in front of Carl and tries to hand him something. Lori walks in front of her son and blocks him from Shane. 

All of a sudden, Shane starts running towards the barn. I look over and see five figures. Two walkers and three alive men. Jimmy, Hershel, and Rick. They're leading the walkers towards the barn. What are they doing?! 

I pick up the pace and start running towards the barn as Shane shoots a female walker in the chest. He yells something and shoots it again. 

All of a sudden, Shane being the bright light he is, decides to open the barn and rile to walkers up. He stands back and starts shooting walkers along side a bunch of other people. Hershel's on his knees, Maggie's crying and trying to comfort her father. Daryl's shooting walkers down and Lori's in front of Carl. 

More and more walkers pile out. I slow to a stop, a little ways away from the barn. All the walkers are dead. On the ground. Bleeding. 

Blood is pouring out of the holes in their heads and other places. Shocked, I turn around and look at the adults. Shane angrily looks back at Hershel. I stand there and look at the man who made things a whole lot worse for us. The man who's getting us kicked off of this farm. 

Shane.  

And then hands grab me.