Comics Chapter 84

I was finally released back into society. 

Well, kinda. 

I still have to stay in my cell for the next week or so, just in case, but I can talk to people. From a distance. 

I have to be monitored all the time. At night I have to keep the cell door closed just in case. 

Everyone mostly stays away from me. They're all scared I'll get them sick or something. Parents keep their kids away, and the rest eyes me like I'm a bomb waiting to go off at any minute. I guess in a way, I am. I could die. I almost did. I could end up killing everyone by dying unexpectedly and turning. 

I sit up, letting out a breath of air. I'm bored. Really bored. People avoid this cell at all costs. It's not that hard to do. This is the last cell and the cells next to me are empty. No one affiliates with me unless they have to. Well, I guess not everyone. Daryl comes to check up on me. He doesn't say much, but he's there. Honestly, I'm a little grateful to have him here. I think I'd go insane all alone. 

" Jesse. " Daryl barks, grabbing my attention. 

" Hm? " I say, slightly startled. 

" I've been calling you for a few minutes now. " He says in slight annoyance. 

" Oh, sorry. " I apologize. 

Daryl opens the cell door and opens a bottle of medication. 

I roll my eyes, knowing it's time to take the meds. I hate taking pills. They're nasty. 

" None of that, Jesse. " Daryl taps my hand, gesturing for me to open my hand. He puts the meds on my palm, handing me a bottle of water. " If you want to get better you gotta take your meds. " He leans against the wall, watching me. 

" What? " I ask after a minute. 

" Take your meds. " 

I groan. " I don't wanna. " I complain. " They're nasty. " 

" Do you want to get better? " Daryl asks. 

I sigh and take the meds. I quickly chug them down with water. " There. " I hold up my empty palm. 

" Open your mouth. " He says, not moving. 

" Ugh. " I open my mouth and lift my tongue, showing him I took the pills. 

" Good girl. Now, I've got to go on a run. You stay in here. If you start not to feel well, get an adult. Sasha's going to check up on you. Okay? Behave. " He warns. 

I nod. " I will. " 

" Good. " He leaves the cell, closing the door behind him. 

I lay back on the bed. I just want to be better. I feel like an outcast. I didn't talk to many people before, but at least I got some social interaction. I haven't even seen Carl. Not since the day, I threw up. Man, that was embarrassing. He probably thinks I'm gross now. 

I spent a week isolated with Hershel and Sasha. I don't remember anything from that week other than I felt like trash and was just about ready to sacrifice myself as bait to get death over with. Thankfully, I got better and now I'm here. 

After a little while of silence, there's a knock on the wall. 

" Hm? " I ask, not bothering to sit up. It's probably Sasha. She'll see I'm not dead and then leave. 

" Hey. " Carl says quietly. 

I sit up, a little surprised he's here. " Um, hi. " I greet awkwardly. Gosh, I'm such an easily embarrassed person. I'm so awkward. 

" How, uh, how are you feeling? " 

" Good I guess. I mean as good as you can feel when after almost dying less than a week ago. " I mumble. 

" Oh. I brought you some stuff. The books and comics I was going to give you last week before you...you know. " He pulls out a stack of comics and a book from his bag. 

" Yeah. " I swing my legs over the side of the bed, standing up. I wobble a little, feeling a little dizzy from standing up too quickly. 

" You okay? " Carl asks after seeing me clutch the wall. " Should I get Hershel? " 

" No, no. I'm fine. " 

" That's what you told me last time and then you puked your guts out. " Carl reminds me. 

I push myself away from the car and stand up. " Look, there. I'm fine. " I say, slightly annoyed. 

" Okay. Here. " Carl gives me the book and comics through the slots of the cell. " I also brought you these. " He hands me a pack of flashlight batteries and some chocolate. " For when you get better. I know you like chocolate and I thought maybe it'd make you feel better. " Carl hands me a bar of Hershey's chocolate and a pack of batteries for my flashlight. 

" Thanks. " I mumble, glancing up at him. 

He nods. " No problem. " He stands there for a second before we both awkwardly turn away from each other. " I uh, I hope you get better. " 

" Thanks. " I sit down on my bed, setting the books and other things next to me. 

" Cya. " He waves before walking away. 

" Bye. " I wave back. 

We're so dang awkward. I guess it's a little awkward when one of you kills a man and the other pukes out their stomach and is just a naturally awkward person. 

I pick up a comic and smile. Maybe Carl isn't that bad. I mean, he did bring me this stuff.