Fence Chapter 32

" Stay with Lori. I'm gonna go out ta look for Sophia. " My eyes widen in alarm as Daryl talks. He pull his cross bow onto his shoulder and I shake my head. 

" No. No no no no. I don't wanna stay with Lori. Please don't make me stay with Lori. Please don't. Take me with you. I'll be good. I'll be quiet. I'll keep my distance. I'll do whatever just please don't make me stay with Lori. " I beg with tears pricking my eyes. 

Daryl looks at me very confused. " Why don't you wanna stay with Lori? " 

" N-no reason. Just, don't leave me with her. " 

Daryl sighs and shakes his head. " Fine, ya don't have to stay with Lori. Ya have to stay here. Just stick with one of the adults while I'm gone. " 

I sigh and nod. He smiles a bit and walks away. I watch Daryl disappears into the woods. What to do. What to do. 

I kick the ground with the tip of my shoe. I don't wanna color. I don't wanna draw. I don't have any toys. I don't have any games. I can't play with Carl because he's hurt. 

It sucks being the only kid able to move and not lost at the moment. The adults are having their conversations together and looking for Sophia. I could visit the chickens? Nah. I saw them earlier. I feel like a burden to everyone, so I'm not going to bother anyone. 

I could go look at the horses. I don't know how the Greene family would feel about that though. I'd hate to be the one who makes everyone have to leave. I better stay away from the animals. 

I can't go hunting. Daryl told me to stay put. 

I climb up onto the fence that surrounds the fat cows in the fields. I slowly walk on top of the wood. I hum to myself as I hold out my arms for balance. 

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In the distance, I spot a bunch of the adults gather around one of the wells. I wonder what they're doing? I shrug and continue on my way around the fence. 

I walk back and forth across the top of the fence for who knows how long. I keep making myself look for a new thing, like a flower or a fallen tree, every time I walk across the wood. 

I'm outta everyone's way, and out of everyone's thoughts. A bird flies away as I walk towards it. I giggle and the trees rustle somewhere behind me. It's probably just a bunny or something. 

" Jesse! Get off of there. Are ya crazy! " I jump and loose my balance as Daryl yells at me. I fall towards the ground, but two strong arms grab me before I land on the floor, on top of a pile of cow poo. Yuck. " What were ya thinkin' kid? Do ya want ta get hurt? " Daryl sets me down. " Don' do that again young lady. " 

I blush. " Sorry. " I mumble looking at my feet. 

" Isn't anyone watching you? What if a walker came outta these woods? Ya don't have anything ta protect yerself with. Ya need to stay by an adult. " Daryl points to the house. 

" Sorry Daryl. I, I didn't want to, to bug anyone so. So I came out here. I, I wasn't thinking. I won't do it again. "I say softly as I look at my hands. I pull at the string on my wrist nervously. I hate getting in trouble. It makes me feel bad. 

" Look at me Jesse, " Daryl puts his hand on my shoulder. " I ain't mad at ya, so stop actin' like yer in trouble. I'm just worried for ya. Ya could've gotten hurt or attacked. Anythin' could've happened to ya. " 

I nod. " I won't do it again. " 

" Good. Now, let's get back ta the group. " Daryl and I walk to our camp.