Pain Chapter 83

Pain! 

Pain's all I'm feeling. My lungs are burning, trying to rip themselves apart. My entire body hurts, my head is pounding. 

I can't move. It hurts. It hurts too much! I don't like this. 

All of a sudden, I get the urge to throw up. A metallic tasting liquid fills my throat. I cough, trying to push out the liquid. 

" Take off the mask! " Hershel rushes, hurrying to my side as I lurch forward, opening my eyes. 

My hands clench the sides of the old, hard cell bunk mattress. 

Something's pulled from my throat. I lean over the side, puking on the floor in front of Sasha. 

Tears of pain roll down my face as I throw up blood. My stomach's killing me. I feel like I'm on fire!

I pretty much cough out my lungs. It feels like someone's stabbing my throat with a miniature knife thousands and thousands of times. 

Someone puts them hand on my back to stabilize me. I ignore them, coughing harder and harder. My face heats up, not from embarrassment, but from my fever. 

I take a wheezy breath. It feels like I'm not getting enough air. I can't speak, I don't know what'll happen if I try.

My eyes flutter close and I feel my body fall backwards as darkness takes over. I hate throwing up, especially blood. 

*****

Screaming pulls me out of sleep. I gasp loudly, sitting up slightly. Sweat's caked on my face, making me feel clammy and disgusting. My eyes fade in and out of focas. I cough into my arm, blood splattering on my already dirty shirt. 

A woman hobbles past the cell, coughing into her arm, trying to get away from something. Behind her, Mr. McMandle, a man we brought into the prison a few weeks ago, growls and snarls, trying to grab her. Blood drips out of his mouth, onto his torn shirt. He's a walker. 

People run around left and right, trying to get away from the walkers. 

My heart pounds, and I start to struggle with my breathing. I need to get out of her. 

I grab the bar of the bunk bed, grunting painfully as I try to get off the bed. My cell door swings completely open as someone runs past, knocking it into the metal of the cell. 

I freeze, as a low growl echoes nearby. I suck in a breath as a walker walks past the room, dragging his legs. He stops in front of the door, waiting for something. 

I do my best not to move. I struggle not to breath, my lungs begging for air. 

The walker moves on, leaving me behind. 

As soon as it gets past and I think it's far enough away, I let out the air, coughing over and over again. 

I pull myself up, forcing my body to work. I need to get out of here. It's not safe. 

I wobble towards the door, my legs feeling like jelly. I make it out of the cell when another scream pierces the air. A painful ring goes through my ear making me clutch it in pain and let out a yelp. My head spins slightly as I try to regain my composure. 

Up above me, someone rolls around the fence, growling and grunting. I ignore it, focusing on the task in front of me. I hold onto the wall as best as I can as I walk towards the hallway. On the other side of the room at the front door is a  group of walkers biting into someone who's barely been killed. 

My stomach churns. I want to throw up, but I can't. I have to get out of here before I turn into someone's lunch. 

I try to walk a little faster when I hear a clank in the room I am passing. 

I finally make it into the hallway. I don't know if I can do this. I don't know if I can get to the door. I don't feel good. My legs hurt, I feel like I've run a mile when in reality, I've walked less than three feet. 

I turn the side and someone screams. In front of me, an older woman, I think Mrs. Bennard from Cell Block D, holds her arms above her face to hold off a walker. 

She sobs loudly, trying to kick it away. 

I look to my side and spot a broken chunk of wood, probably from a crate. I grab it, huffing as I walk towards the walker. I stumble slightly, my body swaying with every step. I muster up as much strength as I have left and hit the walker with the long board of wood. Blood squirts onto the already dirty brown wood and onto my face. I push it over, catching it's attention. The walker falls to the side next to Mrs. Bennard trying to grab at me. It hisses and snarls, trying to get back up. I don't let it. I step on the walker's chest, trying to push my weight onto it. I let out a yell in frustration as I drive the board into it's head, immediately killing the walker. 

I smack it one last time to make sure it's gone before gasping and standing back. Honestly, I couldn't care less if I killed a walker at the moment. I'm sick of this. I'm sick of being ill and dealing with these jerks. I just want it to end. 

Mrs. Bennards cries are drowned out by the throbbing in my head. Spots fill my vision, blocking out chunks of things. I see a blob run towards me. I can hear yelling but I can't tell what's being said. 

I stumble backward, my eyes darting around the room. I lean against the wall, sliding down. My eyes are heavy, like I want to go to sleep. I make it to the ground and attempt to speak. " I guess no more story time. "