Gone Chapter 71

It's been forever since Daryl left with the others to get back Maggie and Glenn. 

Carl found some people in the tunnels. I haven't gone to talk to them yet. My card is lying on Daryl's bed, so when he gets back, it's the first thing he sees. 

Carl's still avoiding me and Beth's busy taking care of the baby. Carl's outside with Carol. They're on patrol. 

I hum to myself as I quickly change into some shorts and a t-shirt. It's pretty hot in here. I hear the cell block open and I rush outside. I stay at the cell block door with my card for him, so I don't anger Daryl when he comes. I don't want him to tell me I should be inside. I don't need to be in trouble again. 

I smile widely up at Maggie and Glenn as they walk in. Maggie's mad expression changes to pity and sadness. Glenn sighs as he walks by. 

They're probably just tired. All of a sudden Carol, Rick, and Carol come in. Carol's...crying? What happened. 

I stick my head into the main part of the cell block and wave at the people at the table. The tall, dark, strong man waves back at me. 

" Where's Daryl? " I ask looking around at everyone. 

No one talks. Carol wipes away a tear and sniffles a bit. 

" Where's Daryl? " I ask again, a little worried about the answer. Is he okay? Alive? Bitten? 

Rick steps forward. " Well, Jesse- " 

" Is he alive? " I ask nervously. 

" Yes. Daryl's alive. " 

" Where is he then? " 

" He's, well, we ran into Merle on the way, and he " Rick sighs and rubs his forehead. He kneels down in front of me and smiles softly. " he left with his brother. " 

" Is he coming back? " I ask. My heart starts pounding. 

Rick looks at the ground and then up at me. " I'm sorry. No. Daryl is not coming back. " 

That little jerk. He was my friend. He didn't even say good bye. He didn't tell me. He just left. He left me. 

Anger and sadness boils in my blood. He left. Wait, I don't need Dixon. I don't need him. I don't need anyone. Not Daryl, not Carl, not anyone. I should've seen this coming. I knew this was coming. I knew it. I just chose to be fooled. I chose to trust him. 

" Okay. " I say with a blank expression. 

" Oh sweetie. " Carol covers her mouth with her hand. 

" Okay. " I say louder. I nod and make my way to my cell. I pass Carl and everyone else. " Okay. " I whisper. 

I close my cell door and everyone whispers. 

" Okay. " 

I lay on my bunk and stare at the ceiling. 

A tear slides down my cheek. It's not long before I break out sobbing. I try to cover the noise with my pillow. I tear the card I made in half, and let it fall to the ground. 

He's gone.