Queen of Mean Chapter 19

" Carl bed time. " Lori ruffles her sons hair as she sits down next to him. " We're sleeping in the RV tonight with Carol and Sophia. " Lori ignores my presence. 

That's fine. I don't need her talking to me. She can go annoy some other poor unfortunate soul. 

" Really mom? Can I please stay up a little longer? " Carl begs his mother. Lori shakes her head. 

" No. We've got to get up early tomorrow. "

" But Jesse's not going to bed. " Carl looks at me from across the small fire Daryl and T-Dog made earlier. 

" I'm not Jesse's mother. " Lori says making her son stand up. 

Thank God for that too. I smirk to myself and look at my lap. But then sadness hits me. I have no mother. 

" Mom. " Carl whines as Lori leads him to the RV. Daryl shoots a walker down from his spot on top of a car a few feet away from us. 

I glance at the RV. I see Carol and Sophia's shadows in the dim candle light from the inside. 

Lori closes the door behind her and Carl without another glance over here. " You should get to sleep as well Jesse. " T-Dog says looking up from the fire. " 

I shrug and pull at the piece of string on my wrist. " Okay. Goodnight. Thanks for everything guys. " I politely say as I get up. I look around. " Where do I go to sleep? " I hate having to ask where I'm staying. At times like these I wish I had someone here I stayed with permanently. 

" In the RV with the others. " Dale smiles as he points to the RV. 

" Thank you. " I nod and make my way over to the RV. I open the door and the noise inside greets me. Carol and her daughter are on the couch and Lori and Carl are on the bed. Carl laughs at something his mom says and throws a pillow at Sophia, who giggles. Carol smiles at her daughter and Lori chuckles. 

Lori's smile fades away as she spots me. " Oh. Jesse. " 

" Hi Mrs. Grimes. " I wave awkwardly. " Um, Dale sent me in here to sleep. " I look down at my feet. There's obviously no room for me in here. 

" Oh. I'm sorry sweetie. There's no room. " Lori gestures around. 

" I can mov-" Carol starts. Lori cuts her off. 

" I'm sorry Jesse. " 

I nod. " It's okay. " I turn back around as an awkward silence fills the RV. No one wants me around. It's okay. I don't need anyone. Not Lori. Not Carl. Not anyone. 

I quietly close the RV door as I leave. Where am I going to sleep? I can't sleep out in the open. A walker could get me. But, I can't just crawl into a car. The group could end up leaving without me. Where do I go? And what made Lori start being so mean to me? What did I do?