For a moment Chapter 21

" Leave me alone. " I mumble in my sleep as Lacey Max, a mean girl that lived in the orphanage with me smacks some books from my arms. " Stop. " I shake my head a bit and the blanket I'm on crinkles under my head. I open my eyes and let out a breath. 

The light seeps into the car I'm in, through a small crack in the window by my head. I sit up and stretch my arms. My bag is at my feet, and a blanket falls off of me. I don't remember falling asleep in here. 

My heart starts to race. Did they leave me? Is that why I'm in here? Is everyone gone? They don't want me anyone. I should've seen it coming. Man, why do I always have to let myself fall for the tricks of people. No one cares about me. I'm nobody. Nobody's anything. 

At least they were nice enough to put me in here so I didn't wake up to some walker trying to kill me. 

I slowly change into some new, cleaner clothes and put my backpack on my back as I fold my blankets. I might as well pick up and get going. It's not the safest place to be out here. A herd could pass any moment. I open the car door and cover my eyes as the sun light hits me. I pat down a bit of my hair, and throw on a baseball cap. There's no need to do it. I'm not meeting with the president anytime soon. He's probably dead and wouldn't care anyway if I was meeting him. 

" Someone was sleepy. " I jump as I hear a voice from my left. The person chuckles. I turn Daryl. He's on the car next to me and everyone's up and about. Carl sleepily waves at me and his mom doesn't bother to glance at me. 

" Oh. Yeah. " I slightly wave back at him. 

" There's food over there if yer hungry. " Daryl points to a box on top of a car. 

" Thanks. " I smile at the tall man and slowly walk over to the box. I stand on my tippy toes to get a glance at everything. 

They didn't leave me. Okay. That's good. I'm not too great at killing walkers. I'm too short. It was super hard when I was on my own. 

I grab a graham cracker and look around for something else. I pull out a small box of raisins and smile a bit. I like raisins. 

Happy with my food, I walk over to Daryl. He nods at me and I stand by him as I eat my food. Carol brushes her daughters hair and smiles at me. " Hey Jesse. Do you want me to do your hair sweetheart? " She asks happily. 

" Um, sure. " I smile at her. She finishes brushing Sophia's hair and gestures me over. I look up at Daryl, but he's busy shooting a walker. 

I walk over to Carol and she takes off my hat. I wince a little as she brushes my crazy, tangled hair. " You have beautiful hair Jesse. " She compliments. 

" Thanks. " I mumble and she does some braid thing to my hair. 

Carol smiles. " I'll do your hair whenever you'd like. Just come ask me. " 

" Okay. Thank you. " I smile at Carol and Sophia yells for her. 

" Mommy! There's a bunch of them. " She points to a large group of walkers ahead. 

" Everyone, let's pack it up. Time to go! " Rick yells as he grabs his stuff. We quickly pack up and Daryl throws my stuff in the back of his truck. 

" Ya heard the man. Let's go. " Daryl gets into his car and gestures for me to get in.

I hurry inside and we continue on our way to a place unknown. For a minute there, I forgot about the walkers. 

Life seemed good. But that was quickly ruined. Nothing good lasts for long. At least that's what I've been told.