Chapter 85: Fourth Life - Fragments of Longing

Master and I walked side by side along the banks of the Dark Fall Lake. Our fingers were still intertwined, palms touching. Master's cold hand was soft, but my annoyingly sweaty hand was an obvious sign of my nervous state. It only made me more anxious that Master would find its texture repulsive.

Peeking at Master's face, he looked pleasantly content. I wondered why he was at peace when Ming Yan had yet to recover.

Entering the lower forest of Mei Yi Mountain, the flattened grass laid out a path with tall bushes overrunning the sides. Master pulled me gently as he led, acting as my beacon of direction.

Finally out into the open, we approached a large stream. Letting go of my hand, Master sat down on the grass.

Looking around at the unfamiliar area, I asked, "Master, why did you bring me here?"

"I feel bad for not keeping my promise to go watch fireworks with you, so I brought you here," he sighed.

Sitting down next to him, I held my knees close to my chest. Silently pouting, I pretended to not care about what he said as if I was completely unbothered by everything that happened.

"This is just a stream from the lake. What's so special about it?" I argued.

Master didn't respond. He looked around the area like he was on the lookout for something to present itself. After a few minutes a waiting, Master handed me a small bundle wrapped in a cotton handkerchief. Looking at him and back at the bundle, I wasn't sure if I should accept.

"Take it."

"What is it?"

"I know you're going to get hungry around this time, so I prepared it." 

"Huh?" Immediately grabbing the package, I unwrapped it to find some hardened almond cookies. Stiffly biting into one, I noticed that Master's cold body had frozen the once warm sweets. "Thanks..."

It doesn't taste too bad. I wonder if Master baked them?

"Rong Xin, look." Master excitedly pointed into the darkness of air.

While squinting my eyes, I could barely make out what he was pointing at. Suddenly lights of glowing jade floated in the distance, surrounding the area around us.

Standing up, I smiled widely taking in the breath taking sight. Fireflies lit up the darkness with each one flying close and far. I turned around and around to watch the dancing lights.

"Not as grand as fireworks, but fireflies are just as beautiful," Master said with a smile. Turning my attention to Master, I saw that he was at peace, calm almost. He kept his eyes on the crowd of fireflies also in awe. 

Master

Master... was he trying to cheer me up?

"Master?"

"Hmm?"