28

Tones of white, blue and remnants of the green of the grass are the view from my room. Slightly snow-capped tip of trees and little movement outside. Holding a cup of tea that perfectly warms my cold hand I stroll to my closet and sigh. First winter here and I don't like it. The high ceilings makes the air inside too chilly making it feel like an iglu. With one hand, I begin to throw my clothes to my bed, gloves, scarf, plushy earmuffs. Ok, done. 

I walk to the kitchen seeing the last pair of people picking up things from yesterday's party. I eat my light breakfast in complete silence just staring at the picturesque landscape in front. I wash the dishes and check for the millionth time the food I prepared yesterday for today's dinner. 

I peek in my parent's room and they're still sleeping. Nice, he's not in his lab filling himself with caffeine. Then I spin to the long hallway that holds multiple doors. Doors I don't open anymore because there's no one inside. You know, Christmas and New Year is about family but just for a little bit, I feel alone. I shake my head throwing away that feeling. Nostalgia is normal this time of the year and what a year it's been...  I spent the hours before the dinner, doing the best to look decent and wrapping myself in all the quilts possible.

I walk into Happy who was ordering some security stuff but he offers me to drop me off at Peter's. I won't say no to that. Inside the car, before he starts the engine I give him the small gift I bought for him. A keychain of a happy face, he huffs and rolls his eyes until they turn white but then he quickly places his keys and gives me a light squeeze to my hand. As soon as we arrive at the building, Happy follows me to Peter's apartment ignoring the confused look I'm giving him. One tray in one hand and the other in Happy's, I knock twice. 

"What are you doing?... I told you I'm fine!" I whisper to him

"just shhh" he whispers back tugging his black suit and the door opens

"HEY!"  Happy and I exclaim at the same time

"Hello, guys! we are waiting for you!" May opens her arms making a little dance, I turn to look at Happy... May invited him?  " come on, come on!"

We step inside and I notice the red knit sweater May's wearing with little patters of white around the hem of her sleeves. I turn my eyes to the apartment decorated with some fairy light and a medium Christmas tree with colorful spheres and garlands with red, green and golden ribbons. It feels cozy and warm. I turn back to see how Happy is complaining with May about New York traffic in these days.

"Hey, May. I think this sweater is too big and itchy" Peter walks from his room scratching his neck, he's wearing a shaggy green sweater and I snort at him  "Oh, Tannie hey! and Happy! Hi!" his toothy smile and puffy cheeks create a tingling on my stomach

"nice sweater"  I compliment suppressing a laugh and he nods

"ha-ha yes... oh what did you bring?" he peeks his head to the pair of trays over the counter

"Gingerbread cookies and roasted beef... I tried to follow the tutorial" I shrug and he turns to me with his mouth agape

he excitedly points to the food "May! look, she did this!!" 

"You act like is the first time you have seen food!" she says 

"homemade food that is not burnt!" he points out and I laugh with him

"don't hear him May... I prepared your walnut date loaf and it was good" Happy reassures May who kindly smiles at him

"Ok! so, table is already prepared and guess what?" she runs to a cabinet and opens one drawer  "I bought champagne! and apple cider with no alcohol for you two"  she points her finger to us  "come on! everyone sits and oh wait... I need to put my favorite Christmas music"