121

Sunday, December 24, 2015

"It's fascinating how I can see the atoms of the nanoparticles"

"How many they are in each?"

"Thousands of atoms. Sounds a lot but for example, in the comb I'm holding there are billions. In a nanoparticle just thousands, maybe less than 10k"

"For the surface-to-volume-ratio, right?"

"Exactly for that" I turn around and grab a package of new bobby pins "Now that I finished with those dots I don't know what I'll do"

"Uhhhmm... maybe the robots you've been postponing"

"You're right... I'll do that the day after tomorrow. Okay... Peter, I need your full honesty here, ok?"

"For what?"

I take the phone from the counter next to the sink and lean it against the mirror, I walk backwards and gesture to my dress "Do I look too formal?"

Peter's face on the screen gets closer, so close I bet the tip of his nose is millimeters from touching the screen "Tannie..."

"I knew it. I look like Margaret Thatcher, uh?"

"Wait, turn around, turn around!" he urges

I do as he says and stretch my arms to my sides as I turn back to face the camera "It's time for you to judge my outfit. Go raw"

"No, it lo-"

"Mom bought this dress for me and I like it but then I think it's too formal for a sixteen-year-old, you know?"

"Tannie"

"Then I thought that the crown braid would look good but I think I just went from having 16 to 35"

"Q.T..."

"Yeah?"

"You look so pretty and beautiful. That dress is awesome, it's your style and the color..."

I snort as I brush the thin net tulle of the skirt "I do like the color. My mom knows me and it's cool because she's wearing a golden dress, my dad was obliged to wear a red tie and I'm wearing green.... a very Christmasy family"

"I love how you made that on your hair"

"I have like 25 pins on my head. Last night before you called me, I practiced with a youtube tutorial"

"Oh! that's why your hair looked curlier than normal"

"Jup"

Peter breaths out a chuckle "Honestly, you look radiant. You say I have a national treasure face? Look at yours... This is one of those moments where I'm against this trip. I could easily be there with you.... or not? I don't know if Mr. Stark would've invited me there"

"Don't you remember I told you he invited you? I told you next week after Homecoming"

He purses his lips "That only encourages it more"

"Honestly, if I could change places and go to your game night with your family and bring my parents; I'd do that. These dinners only get more boring each year. The last one everyone attended was better. Nat and Sam were getting everyone drunk including Mark Zuckerberg. Rhodey was wrapping Bruce with fairy lights calling it 'The Hulk's Christmas spirit'. My dad was creating a champagne fountain and Clint was throwing arrows through the small gaps between each cup"

"That's called a party" he laughs

"I know... now I bet everyone is suddenly interested in talking about stocks and not stockings. If you get what I mean"