139

Friday, March 9, 2018

"Just hold that a bit longer!!" I scream at him while I land on the roof seeing how Peter gracefully handles the whole crumbling water tower with his webs "I'll check if everyone is out!"

"Yyyyyyeah! I got this!!" he yells pulling more the strand of webs causing the steel of the tank to shriek at the pressure

I look forward to the edge of the roof and start running increasing my speed until I let myself drop from the building but rapidly balancing in the air and doing a weird flip forward until I properly stand straight in the air. How does Peter manage to do all those flips?

I plummet to the ground and see the several cops with their intermittent lights red and blue covering the whole front street. I quickly scan the area with tenants running out of the building hugging their belongings and others hugging their kids.

"Is everyone out?" I ask the officer near me

"I-I think so" she turns back observing all the neighbors confined in a group "Is everyone out??!" she asks them

"Noooooooo! Pixie!! My dog!"

I peek inside the group, a girl in the arms of her mother and her cheeks stained with tears. I nod at the information and thrust again into the air with my ear rapidly catching the high-pitched cries of a dog inside. I turn right to the last set of windows and properly listen to her nails scratching the windows so I only touch the glass and it vanishes into dust, I ruffle the curtains and smile at the small white chihuahua that lifts its ears at the sight of me.

"Come here" I mutter as I stretch to grab her, she fights for a second until I hug her in my arms

"Quantum!!" the same officer yells at me, I turn down to look at her and she is pointing up

The shrieking clack of metal is the only thing that resonates above, my eyes then catch the racing moment when the water tower in the roof starts tilting all the way to the street threatening to fall exactly where everyone is. With the dog in my arm, I launch higher hearing the web-shooters activating and Peter swinging left and right to contain the whole tank but...

"I slipped!!" he shouts doing a backflip and using most of his webs to create an extension of the roof

Slowly, so slowly the water tower finally reaches an angle where the weight is too much to bear, the steel pillars break and the tank crunches plummeting down to the bed of webs. Just... wait a moment.

"The water!" I scream flying down to the street and seeing the imminent pile of water spilling out of the tank, tons of water that start making their way to all. People scream, others run, and the dog in my arms barks in agony. Exactly meters from touching land, with my spare arm I throw it in the air imagining what I want to happen, letting some energy out and up.

A rapid bolt of light emerges from my hand, a small lightning effect that covers the front of the street and for a fraction of seconds blinds me a bit. And the impact of water never happens, the whole liquid is now falling as a cloud, like a mist that quickly rises up to the air dissipating as a normal cloud would do. Cheers emerge. I sigh at the close moment and look down at the dog, I spin in the air and land foot by foot in the sidewalk stretching my arm to the brunette girl who loudly cheers hugging her dog. I purse my lips in a smile when I make contact with the officers and neighbors and from the corner of my eyes, a red and blue body swings down from the building jogging to where I am.

"Sorry for the water tower" He wheezes looking to the officer as his suit eyes contract "Also the base is a bit rusty, the steel was definitely going to crumble at some point"