131

Friday, January 19, 2018

"Guys, guys... please remember what are Palaside cells, ok? Not because it's going to be in my test... but because one day when you go out there and stop in the park while you are alone or with friends, preferably with friends, you are going to stop and see an enormous tree and your friends will say 'Oh! It's an enormous tree!' and you proudly will say that its leaves have a photosynthetic layer of Palaside cells that are closer to the upper surface. They'll turn around and see you as the wisest person in the room... I used the same tactic with my wife.... ex-wife now... but it works guys! Trust me. That's why I'm your Science teacher, right?"

"Pssssttt! Q.T.!" I only have to turn my head to the side and stare behind me, Peter leans closer and snorts "Does he know not everyone will use the Palaside cells as pick-up lines?"

"Mmmmm... he's a big dreamer... and did you hear? Ex-wife?? He finally did it"

"Ah, knowing him..." MJ speaks in the seat in front of me, less discreet that she's actually not paying attention to Harrington "His ex-wife filed for the divorce and not him"

"Good point, probably it was that"

The bell buzzes signaling that the last period of this week is starting, while the whole classroom amazingly ignores the instructions for the next assignment, well, except me of course; Peter and Ned wait for me outside of the classroom to start walking to Arts class.

"Hey, bro, you never told me why Morita kept you hostage in his office"

Peter quizzically stares at Ned "Hostage?"

"Well, he kept you for two periods. Tannie never told me anything but she was worried..." he turns to me "You were worried"

"Yeah, I was" I admit and feel Peter's hand sliding with mine while we still walk past other students "But he told me what Morita wanted"

"Well, you didn't tell me," Ned says "One, because I forgot to ask and two, you forgot to tell... now tell me before the sub teacher shuts me up"

"It was about the tutoring program, bro. Midtown found me a student to tutor"

"Tell me you didn't get that nose-bleed kid"

"Nah, this new boy from sixth-year. Morita showed me his report card and... not good, bro, not good"

"When you start?"

"Next week, three days a week, and guess what....?"

"... they are going to give you food...?"

"Nope, though that would be cool, but no. They're going to pay me. Real money"

Ned's jaw goes slack at the news, we reach the Arts classroom but we stop in front to talk a bit more before the sub teacher arrives and literally shuts all of us "Dude! Paid?! Ooohahaha, you're so lucky to be extra smart! How much?!"

"10 per hour, dude!" Peter chirps sliding from my left side to my right side to stay near Ned "Can you believe it?!"

"10? Awesome! How many hours each day?"

"2! Add the data!"

Ned confusedly frowns at the request so I join with a throat-clearing sound "If you don't skip any session, then until Junior year ends you'll earn 1,260 dollars"

Both of them go pale for a moment, just a tiny moment because then both start jumping in their places exchanging excited squeals and wide eyes.

"Duuuuudeeeee!!"

"I know!!" Peter walks to my right side to let a group of girls pass to the classroom "Can you imagine?"

"Wait... Tannie, I know you have a great calculator in your mind but that was fast... how did y-"