73: Burying The Dead

Lay You Down - Sam Smith

Warning: Get Some Tissues :'(

_______________

The shovel continues to sink deeper into the ground, forcing out dirt to the side to make the hole bigger. Sweat beams Jungkook's forehead from the burning hot sun casting down on him, making this process much harder than it already is.

However, after a few more digs, Jungkook nods to the depth of the hole, leaning against the shovel to catch his breath.

He forgot hot the country side it in Daegu, but regardless he misses this calming aura. The feel of the fields and the gentle breeze that would caress his skin delicately. He remembers coming here a lot when he was younger with his parents, begging them to not leave this beautiful place.

It feels nice.

Suddenly Jungkook senses movement from the corner of his eye, feeling his heart tug deeper once he realized who it was. Slowly craning his head to the side, he sees Taehyung carrying his father in his arms. His lifeless face is on his shoulder, completely pale from having to have been in a freezing capsule this whole entire time.

Taehyung said he knew his father wouldn't want to be buried in just a regular cemetery back in Seoul. He would want to be buried here, in his home town. Where he came from. Taehyung was also very persistent that Jungkook would come along too, not that he would've denied going either way.

Taehyung has been there for him through his lowest moment now, he has to be there for him.

Not because it's an obligation, but......

Honestly.... Jungkook just knows he has to be here.

The moment Taehyung reached Jungkook, the older brunette only holds a strong gaze down to his father in his arms, feeling his chest tug slightly with his lips wobbling slightly. With a shake of his head he was going to put his father in the hole alone but daringly Jungkook grabs his father's legs to carry him. The contact made him want to scream on the spot and go into a heap of a mental break down but he fights it off as hard as he could. Taehyung looks at him with gapped lips, but sends him a shakily smile of appreciation. Carefully both boys eased down to the hole and laid the lifeless man at the center, placing his hands crossed over together.

He looks peaceful.

Almost like he's sleeping.

The climb out of the hole and Jungkook had to walk away for a moment to gather his breathing. His throat squeezed so tightly that it felt like he couldn't even breath.

This isn't about me.

Have to focus on Taehyung.

Fight it.

Fight it.

For Taehyung.

After a few more moments of him talking to himself, Jungkook slowly goes back to stand beside Taehyung, adjusting the collar of his bow tie and turns to look at him, "Anything you would like to say to him?"

Taehyung didn't know what to say. He just stared at the corpse with a deep frown on his lips. Being put in this position feels like a heavy weight on his shoulders, but regardless he slowly nods and stands up straight while adjusting his blazer, keeping a head high.

Here it goes.

"Da-"

He couldn't even finish. Taehyung chocked on aid and rubs his throat, trying hard to ooze the pain that's stabbing his esophagus.