Chapter 112: Fifth Life - Love Triangles, I Refuse

After a nice meal for lunch, I took a nap. The covers wrap around me, insulating heat to a toasty comfortable warmth.

Yang Zi Huo left me alone at last, and returned to whatever responsibilities he has to take care of.

Awaking, I decide not to stay in. I don't want to waste the day, and went for a walk near Dark Fall Lake. Surprisingly, the weather is not terrible. The sun is poking out through the splitting of clouds. The air is not cool like usual but warm enough but not to the point of unbearable humidity.

Dark Fall Lake sits calmly, not even the disturbance of ripples can be seen moving across the lake. Its dark water conceals the depths of its body, making me second guess a quick swim.

Sitting on the stone bench in the pavilion, I look at the serenity before me. Attempting to meditate, I close my eyes and focus.

I've tried to cultivate a number of times, only to fail at conjuring my inner power. Yi Fei has given me multiple life essence pills, and even then my powers have only increased a little.

"How long have you been cultivating for?" Someone's low voice interrupts my concentration.

I open my eyes to a figure in dark clothing. With his hands crossed, he leans against the pole of the pavilion while observing me. Wu Jing looks to be drunk.

I reply, "Ever since I could sit."

Resting my hand, I let out a deep breath.

"Aren't you supposed to be at the meeting? Why are you here?" I ask.

He looks into his wine jar, one eye squinting. "I left early. Gu Yi can manage. Besides it's above my pay grade."

"Seems like no one here likes to work."

"Ha. Yeah. You try working for three hundred years straight and see how you like it."

I have! In purgatory! Tch!

On the day I came to Bleak Night, Wu Jing was also here drinking and offered a cup to Rong Xin. It was then I collected his True Love Essence. Thinking about it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

"Did you love that little maid who died years ago? Li Rong Xin?"

He stares off into the distance. "I came to care for her, sure. But I never truly deserved her to ask for more."

"Good thing you understand that," I say not caring about his grief.

"Heh. You sure know how to hit where it hurts. Just like Luo Na Li."

"You-- "

"But you're not her? Is that what you were going to say?"

In silence, I don't bother to answer.

"You want a drink?" He hands the wine jar to me. I can smell the antiquated sweetness flowing out then jar. It's similar to the wine I used to make and sell as Luo Na Li. The wine village I lived in made wine similar to this smell, and I copied the recipe.

Standing, I confront Wu Jing. "Where did you find this wine?"

"This wine? In the cellar. Where all the wines are. Why... does it seem familiar to you?"

Ah, he's trying to trick me.

"It does have a unique smell. The wine maker seems to have skills in brewing this particular scent." I take the jar out of his hand, and place it to my lips. "Sweet and bitter like tears of lost souls."

I hand it back to him and walk back to the bench. Neither of us says a word. The sun is setting and the wind brushes by softly, sending a short quiver response in my shoulders.