25

Jungkook pushed the shopping trolley as he followed Jin around the large supermarket. They had just dropped Minjoon off at a neighbour's house for a playdate after Taehyung left, when Jin declared that he needed to buy groceries.

Jungkook had quickly offered to go with him even though Jin said the supermarket was close, and that he didn't need an escort. So Jungkook had reminded Jin that he promised Taehyung that he would keep an eye on him.

He prayed that he was right in assessing Jin's soft and kind nature, and that he would not want to get Jungkook in trouble. So Jungkook reiterated that it would be bad if he broke his promise less than hour after making it. Jin had sighed resignedly, and told him to get in the car.

"Jungkook-san, why is there so many napa cabbages in the shopping trolley?"

Jungkook counted them, and smiled sheepishly at Jin.

"I was hoping you would make more of your kimchi from last night."

The look of joy on Jin's face at Jungkook's request made Jungkook's heart skip several beats. Jin's eyes shone so bright that they were practically glowing. They reminded Jungkook of his Jinnie.

"You liked my kimchi? But wasn't that your first time having it?"

"No, my boyfriend used to make it all the time when we were still together. I miss it. I miss him."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you sad."

"No, don't be sorry. I'm not sad. I'm happy because I got to taste something that he used to make once again."

"Oh, okay. In that case, I'll make it for you tonight!"

Jin led the way down another aisle and grabbed a big bag of gochugaru off the shelf. He then told Jungkook to wait for him while he went to get an item from a different aisle.

"Why can't I come with you?" Jungkook asked, puzzled.

"It's my secret ingredient for my fresh kimchi."

"Is it love?" Jungkook smiled, remembering what his Jinnie used to tell him.

Jin furrowed his eyebrows in consternation. He wasn't sure if this man was trying to flirt with him. He hoped not because he was his husband's best friend.

Jungkook noticed the look of unease on Jin's face and cursed himself quietly. He also gave himself a kick in the groin mentally.

"I'm sorry, Jin. I didn't mean to offend you. It's just what my boyfriend used to say when I asked what he put in his kimchi."

Jin's brows relaxed with relief. He laughed.

"That's what I tell Tae too when he asked me. He tried to make it for our anniversary last year, and was sad because it didn't taste the same."

"Will you tell me? I promise I won't tell Taehyung."

Jin bit his bottom lip. He was fairly sure that Jungkook wasn't deliberately flirting with him but the things he was saying was making him uncomfortable.

Jungkook saw the apprehensive look on Jin's face again and wanted to give himself a hard kick in the groin for real. Why was he so awkward around this man? He was like a teenage boy experiencing his first sexual awakening.

"Oh my goodness, Jin, I'm so sorry. That didn't come out right," he apologised. "I just... I don't... Aargh! You make me so nervous!"

Jungkook avoided Jin's gaze and tried to make himself look smaller next to the shopping trolley.

"Don't mind me," he said softly, his head bowed. "I'm just going to stand here and wait for you to come back."

Jin laughed and walked away. He felt much better after Jungkook confessed about being nervous around him. It felt good and he was ready to get to know his husband's best friend. Perhaps they'll go for a coffee at the coffee shop down the street before going home to put away the groceries and then picking up Minjoon. He didn't feel so uncomfortable anymore.