28

That night, dinner was a quiet affair. Jin didn't talk much as he listlessly finished the food on his plate. Jungkook had tried to initiate conversation but after the fifth rebuff, he had lapsed into silence and focused on Jin's fresh kimchi.

"Dada okay?" a little voice asked.

Jin turned to look at his son. The love of his life, second to Taehyung. He smiled when he noticed gravy on the little one's chubby cheeks. He wiped it away.

"Dada is okay," he assured Minjoon. "Dada is just tired."

Jungkook looked sharply at Jin and let his eyes roam over the man's face, searching for signs that he might be ill. Aside from the tired look in his beautiful brown eyes and the slight pallor on his skin, he saw no signs of fever.

Jin felt Jungkook's gaze on him and immediately busied himself with cleaning up the remains of their dinner. He was surprised to see that there was nothing left to put away. Jungkook had finished every single bite of the simple meal he had made.

"Please let me do that," Jungkook said as he reached for the plates that Jin was about to carry.

"Oh no, Jungkook-san. I can do it."

"No, I insist. You cooked a beautiful meal for us. You even made the fresh kimchi that I like. The least I can do is wash up."

"But you are our guest. My husband's best friend."

"All the more reason to let me do this. Taehyung and I used to do this all the time when we were children. Whoever came to the other's house for dinner would help with cleanup. It's the rule."

Jin smiled at this childhood anecdote from his husband's past, and the air around them lightened considerably.

"Very well, Jungkook-san. I will give my son a bath while you clean up."

Jungkook grinned. Jin had become subdued after their conversation in the coffee shop this afternoon so he was glad to see him smiling again. Perhaps he can try to get close to him again. Try to bridge the gap so Jin would be comfortable answering his questions.

Answers that Jungkook hoped will confirm who Yoojin was. His Jinnie.