76

Jungkook sat in his home office, and held his phone to his ear as he waited for the call to go through. He and Jin had come home not too long ago, and Jin had told Jungkook that he was going to rest in his room.

Jungkook had encouraged the man to get as much rest as possible because he needed privacy to make some calls. He had to get to the bottom of what happened to his beloved that night. Things were not adding up.

Jin had become quite agitated on the bridge, and kept babbling about another man who had been there with him and Taehyung on the night he died. He was adamant that the man had pushed Taehyung over the railing.

The call connected and Jungkook opened his mouth to greet the other person but was immediately cut off before he could.

"Is my husband alright?"

"Seriously, Tae?" Jungkook sighed. "I mean, I know how important Jin is to you because he's important to me too. But I'm your best friend. You can't even say hello to me now?"

"Hello Jungkook," Taehyung parroted impatiently. "Now where's my husband? Is he alright?"

"He's fine. He's sleeping."

"Sleeping? Why is he still sleeping at this late hour?" Taehyung's voice was laced with panic and worry. "Go and wake him up, Jungkook. Wake him up now!"

"Relax, Tae. Relax," Jungkook soothed his friend. "He woke up at his usual time. He even made breakfast, and then we visited his old workplace."

"Then why is he sleeping at this time? Did he hurt himself? Is he in pain? Damn it, Jungkook! Why haven't you taken him to the hospital?!"

"Oh my god, Tae! Will you calm the fuck down?!"

Jungkook was exasperated with the man. The way Taehyung was behaving, one would think that he was the only one who cared about Jin's wellbeing when nothing could be further from the truth.

Jungkook also cared about Jin. He cared very much, and if he wasn't worried about Jin hating him, Jungkook would like nothing more than to lock Jin up with himself, and throw away the key.

"I'm not calling you to give you an opportunity to make me feel like I'm neglecting Jin. I love him too, Tae. I loved him first! So don't you dare think I wouldn't put his welfare before mine! Don't you fucking dare!"

Silence fell on the other end of the line as guilt settled in the pit of Jungkook's stomach. He had never fought so much with Taehyung in the past but now they were always at each other's throat. It pained Jungkook because it felt like they were always blaming each other when it came to Jin.

If anyone was to blame, it was Jin. It was entirely his fault. How dare he be the amazing person that he was, causing both Jungkook and Taehyung to love him so much to the exclusion of all others.

"I'm sorry, Tae. Forgive me. That was uncalled for. I know you're worried because you haven't seen him for some time."

Taehyung sighed, "What do you want, Jungkook?"

"That night. When you tried to save Jinnie. Was anyone else there?"

Taehyung fell silent again but this time Jungkook knew it wasn't because he was upset with him. No, Jungkook could tell that Taehyung was putting some thought into his question, and trying to recall the events of that night.

"I don't think so, Jungkook. I don't remember seeing anyone near us before Jin went over the railing. Why do you ask?"

"Jin remembered something. He said there was another person there that night. A man that he didn't know. But the man knew him."

"What?!" Taehyung sounded shocked.

"The man said 'Die, Kim Seokjin' before he pushed you off the bridge."

"WHAT?!" This time there was no doubting the shock in Taehyung's voice. "But I don't—"

Taehyung suddenly remembered the jolt that he had felt when he tried to pull Jin back up onto the bridge that night. He thought he had popped his shoulder from the strain of keeping Jin from entering the river. Could it be? Could it have actually been someone pushing him instead?

"But that's not all, Tae. He thinks he saw the man again today."

"What?! Are you serious?" There was no second-guessing the panic and worry in Taehyung's voice. "Send him home. Send my husband home to me now, Jungkook! I want him here with me so I can keep him safe!"

"And you think I can't?!"

Jungkook took a deep breath and tried to dial back his temper. He understood where Taehyung's anger was coming from because he felt the same way. They were both afraid for Jin.

"Listen, Tae, I have people watching over Jin. I'll make sure no harm comes to him. I also think we're close to a breakthrough. Something happened to Jin that night that we didn't know about until today."

"Yes! YOU! You broke his heart! You drove him to that bridge! You made him kill himself!" Taehyung was now yelling into the phone.

"No, I didn't," Jungkook disagreed quietly. "Jin changed his mind, Tae. When you held his hand, he changed his mind."

"What?"

"He changed his mind. He wanted to live," Jungkook explained. "But someone didn't want him to live. They wanted him to die that night."

A heavy breath echoed through the line as Taehyung tried to process this new revelation. Jungkook could relate because he had felt the same way when he first learned about the presence of the other person on the bridge, and what they had done.

"You know who it is, don't you?" Taehyung asked after a while.

"I have my suspicion," Jungkook admitted. "But I won't know for sure until I've spoken to some people."

"No, I forbid it!" Taehyung said forcefully.

"What?"

"I know what you're thinking, Jungkook, and I absolutely forbid it!" Taehyung was almost apoplectic with rage. "You want to use my husband as bait! I'm not letting you, Jungkook. I'm not letting you! I want Jin home now! SEND MY HUSBAND HOME RIGHT NOW!"

"Tae..."

"No! This is Jin's life we're talking about. I won't let you play with his life like a game of chance. If you want to roll the dice to find the person responsible, do it. But do it without Jin. You are not using my husband that way!"

"But Tae..."

"He's my husband, and I love him. If you won't send him home, I will fetch him myself. Goodbye, Jungkook."

And the call was disconnected before Jungkook could explain any further. He dropped his phone on his lap and sighed as he leaned his head back to look up at the ceiling.

Taehyung was being unreasonable. Why couldn't he understand that Jungkook was doing this to protect Jin? That he was trying to guarantee Jin's future?

Didn't they both want the same thing? For Jin to live without having to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life? Instead of living an unfulfilled life, consumed with fear, waiting for the stranger to return and harm him again?

Jungkook's eyes hardened. Taehyung may think he had the monopoly on Jin's time and affection, but Jungkook has been loving Jin for longer and he will do everything within his power to keep his beloved safe, and ensure that he has all the time he deserved to shower his love and affection on whomever he wants.

Jungkook picked up his phone and speed-dialled someone he trusted second to Jin. It was time to set his plans into motion.

"Hyung," Jungkook greeted when his call was answered. "I need you to look into something for me. I need you to find out where..."