72

Four years ago...

"No. You're lying. You're lying!"

Jungkook watched dispassionately as Jin stumbled away from him and knocked into the stack of chairs behind him. He was sobbing as he kept accusing Jungkook of lying to him.

Jungkook had pulled Jin into a closed banquet room to have a private conversation after some of the guests from Jungkook's dinner had started spilling into the hallway. The dinner that Jin had just found out was Jungkook's rehearsal dinner before his wedding tomorrow.

Jungkook had not wanted to reveal his impending marriage to his beloved in this way. But he had not expected to see him tonight, on the eve of his wedding. When Jin had saved him from a potential concussion earlier, he had been shocked to say the least because Jin was not supposed to be here. He was supposed to still be in LA.

But Jin explained that he'd moved to Seoul three months ago. That he was at the hotel with some of his colleagues to celebrate his 3-month work anniversary. He had been keeping low all this while to give Jungkook the time and peace he needed to learn the ropes at his family's company. And he was going to reveal himself when Jungkook planned to fetch him from the States in the new year.

"You love me, Kookie. You told me so," Jin said brokenly. "And I love you. We were going to get married next year. Start a family. Was it all a lie?"

"Please, Jinnie. What we had is commonplace in universities. We were two lonely people in school, looking to fill the emptiness before becoming working adults. It meant nothing."

"And this man you are marrying... he means something?"

"Of course. I was only playing house with you, Jin. But now I'm playing for real. I need a spouse that I can be proud of," Jungkook could feel the bile climbing the back of his throat as he spoke the horrid words.

"No! I don't believe you! We made a promise to each other! You even gave me this ring!" Jin held his left hand up as tears began to spill.

Jungkook pursed his lips as he stared at the promise ring flashing from his beloved's hand. He remembered the day he had given it to Jin, the joyous moment as he slipped it onto his finger. His own ring finger had worn its twin up until a couple of hours ago when Jimin insisted that he took it off.

"That ring was meant to deter the wolves from sniffing around you and poaching you from me. You were the best-looking on campus, and the man that everyone wanted. I had to put my mark on you."

No, Jin, it's not true. That ring meant you were everything to me. You still are!

Jin gasped as he goggled at Jungkook. The devastation on his beautiful face, the betrayal that spilled with the tears from his lovely eyes... it broke Jungkook but he remained strong. He had to. This was no longer about his life. This was about Jeon Corporation, and the lives of the people that worked for him and his father.

"I hate you, Jeon Jungkook! May you never have a moment's peace from this day on. And may you always miss me and long for me until the day one of us dies!"

Jungkook felt a thump on his chest as Jin threw something at him. Then he felt rather than saw Jin run from the room, his muffled sobs fading away as the door closed behind him.

Jungkook bent down to pick up Jin's ring. He could feel his heart breaking as his fingers closed over the two-toned band. As his head filled with more memories of the day that they exchanged the promise rings, tears began to course down his cheeks.

What the fuck am I doing? I love him! I have to get him back!

But as Jungkook pocketed Jin's ring and hurried towards the door, he saw a familiar figure walk in and amble over to him silently with deliberate steps. It was Jimin, and the eerie smirk on his handsome face sent ice seeping into Jungkook's veins. He wondered what the man wanted now. Not that it mattered anymore because he was going to end this farce once and for all. He was cancelling the wedding and reclaiming his boyfriend.