64

Jungkook noticed the ripple first before he saw Jin. He felt, rather than saw, when conversation in the dining area died down, and heads began to turn to stare in one direction. He had experienced this before, many times, when he was in the States with Jin. Strangers would often stop to stare at his boyfriend.

Jungkook looked up as the hostess brought Jin to his table. He immediately stood up to pull Jin's chair out for him. He smiled when Jin frowned at him. His Jinnie has clearly forgotten how Jungkook always did this for him whenever they went out to eat.

Jungkook took a quick sniff of Jin's hair as the other sat down. It made his heart sing when he realised that Jin still smelled the same – of strawberries and lavender. He wished he could bottle up the scent so he could smell it whenever he missed Jin.

As Jin perused the menu in front of him, Jungkook took the opportunity to study him. He pursed his lips in disapproval when he saw the dark circles under the other man's eyes. When Jin looked up, Jungkook frowned. His Jinnie's beautiful brown eyes were no longer sparkling.

"Is something wrong?" Jin asked.

"I could ask you the same thing, Yoojin," Jungkook retorted as he put down his menu.

"Why are you calling me Yoojin, Jungkook-san? Have you forgotten my name? I'm Seokjin. Kim Seokjin. You used to call me Jinnie."

"Do you mean it, Jin?"

"Mean what?"

"That your name is Kim Seokjin? That I used to call you Jinnie?"

"What do you think, Jungkook-san?"

Jungkook squirmed in his seat. He felt uneasy. There was a look in Jin's eyes, and it disturbed him.

"Don't do this, Jin."

"Don't do what?"

"Don't play me like this. I don't think I can survive it if you're playing with me," Jungkook whispered.

"Good. Now you know how I feel," Jin's voice was cold.

Jungkook's eyes widened. He was confused. He doesn't understand the sudden change in Jin. This is not real. This cannot be happening. My Jinnie is not like this. My Jinnie has never been like this, he thought. He wondered what could have happened to Jin during the days that he was gone.

"Shall we order?" Jin raised his hand to summon a waiter without waiting for Jungkook's reply.

After they had given their orders to the waiter, and Jungkook also ordered a bottle of wine, Jin leaned back in his seat to observe Jungkook. His gaze unsettled Jungkook. It was clear, unwavering, and devoid of emotion.

Jin's stillness made Jungkook nervous so he reached for his glass of water and downed half of its contents as he avoided Jin's eyes. He looked out of the window, barely registering the world going about its business while his stood still as he waited for Jin to remember.

"Do you know me, Jungkook-san?" Jin asked suddenly. "Think carefully before you answer. Think very carefully."

Jungkook choked and began to cough harshly. Jin immediately reached over to pat Jungkook's back as he held his red linen napkin up. Jungkook took it gratefully.

"What's going on, Jin?" Jungkook frowned. "Why are you doing this? Are you mocking me?"

"I could ask you the same thing, Jungkook-san."

"Stop. Just stop," Jungkook's voice broke as he held his hand up. "Call me what you always called me. If you're really Kim Seokjin, then you know what you always called me."

"Kookie. I used to call you Kookie. My Kookie dough."

Jungkook closed his eyes as he felt the weight fall off his shoulders. Jin remembered. His Jinnie remembered. His love remembered what he used to call him. He wondered what other memories have come back.

Jungkook opened his eyes to look clearly at the other man. Despite the tiredness in his beloved's eyes, he still looked breathtaking to Jungkook.

"Jin..."

And Jungkook reached out for his hand.