Crush#1 Back to square one

Kuhu's POV

"You are 5 minutes late" I was startled as soon I entered the class.

Manan stood there. Leaning on the wall, his hands folded.

Like he had instructed me, I tried to reach as soon as possible (facing the heavy traffic) yet managed to reach 5 minutes late.

I wore a red one piece that reached a little below my knees. My hair were tied in a ponytail. I didn't have time to apply makeup so just wore a lipgloss.

 I didn't have time to apply makeup so just wore a lipgloss

And there he was. Looking like a runway model. With his biceps restrained in a white polo T-shirt. He wore a faded blue denim jeans.

Since the day he joined the international team, his popularity had skyrocketed. He had done a good performance in one match. Yet the country was yet to witness his talent as he was only one match old.

"I am sorry dear" I apologised. And he gave me his trademark smile.

Though he had changed, his dimples were still the same.

"Will you be my friend?" He came close to me and asked me the same question that he had asked me on the first day when we met. And put his hand in front of mine... asking for a handshake.

"Why should I make you my friend?" I asked him the same question, Priya had asked him. All the memories were coming back to me.

"Because I have two lollipops and two pikachu stickers" he replied.

We shooked our hands and smiled. He gave me his trademark wink and then..... whole picture was complete.

We were standing in our old class. The 5th bench (our old sitting place) was still the same. It was painted blue. We tried to sit but were unable to spread our legs because it was so small. The familiar smell of class, colourful chalk boxes and duster, blackboard, walls adorn with handmade paintings etc brought us the memories.

Manan managed to buy us a "dabeli" (street food in India) that we used to eat every Saturday from our school canteen. Our parents used to give us 5 rupees every week and we would buy a dabeli from that.

We drew balloons on the board. He coloured them with blue (because blue is blue) and me with red.

"By the way I owe you this" He said and handed me an envelope and a beautifully wrapped gift 💝 box.

"You don't need to pay me back!" I Exclaimed as soon as I opened the envelope containing money. The amount was equivalent to the bus fare I paid on his behalf.

"Gentleman never keeps the money" he smiled. Inspite of me insisting that it wasn't required for him to pay me back, he was persistent.

I looked at the box. What was that? "Other thing that I owe you" he said sheepishly.

I opened the box. And it revealed a beautiful doll. I was touched.