Solid support

Kuhu's POV

I waited eagerly for Manan to come back while I watched his game silently. I had privilege to sit in VIP stands and could see myself in the giant screen. Probably because the cameramen found me it interesting to record the expression of Manan's girlfriend (ie mine) and show it to the whole world.

It wasn't Manan's turn to do the batting so I decided to get out of the stand and talk to my parents about how I would return home. Since the match was being played outside my city, it was decided that once the match would end at night, Manan would drop me to the airport so that I could reach to my town overnight.

Once I talked to my parents, I decided that it was time to return to my seat. However I was stopped by a familiar voice.

I stopped dead on my tracks as the realisation hit me. I turned around to confirm my doubt coming true. Yes... it was Kabir.

"Hey Kuhu!!" He exclaimed Kabir. An emotion of happiness came to his face.

"Heya!" I managed to speak. I was almost speechless to see him there.

Fate has different ways of parting and then reuniting people. I had missed him so much that it took me 2 years to move on. And maybe.. no he was my first love.

"What are you doing here? How are you?" I exclaimed.

"Just came to see the match as I am studying in this city. I shifted my collage." He said.

"Oh" was the only thing I could say.

"You look different" he remarked looking at me. Amused.

"Different as in?" I asked. Curious.

"You look beautiful now. During free school days, you were a plain Jane." He confessed as if it was matter of fact. And it broke my heart. Little.

"And yet you fell for me." I reminded him.

"I was in love with your no nonsense attitude. You attitude made me fall for you. Besides you were the only person of my level. Both in terms of popularity and brains."

Kabir was still the same. Except that now his face looked mature but his boyish charm was still intact.

"I guess I don't need to ask you what are you doing here." He grinned, referring to Manan.

"I am here for Manan" I confirmed.

"He is lucky fellow. To have a girl like you." He said. But his voice sounded sarcastic. Which made me a curious.

"What do you mean by a girl like me?" I asked back.

"I mean you deserve someone better." He said. Sarcasm was clear in his tone.

" And by someone you mean a person like you, right?"  My tone too turned sarcastic.

I felt a strong urge to protect Manan. That feeling was foreign to me because I was not yet ready to acknowledge my love for him.

To be frank, I never thought I would get over Kabir. During the years of separation, I would cry endlessly for hours, miss him in every great occasion of my life or sometimes even stalk his social media to wonder if he was happy without me. He never even bothered to call me or tell me that he missed me. When we had parted, it was mutual decision. For the sake of his career.

Yet I never got the closure that I deserved. There were times when I messaged him, tried to pursue our mutual friends to make him message or call me. But he never ever paid any heed to me. Never called me back. Once or twice I called him during his vacations when he visited his home but he never bothered to converse with me properly.

I then realised that he genuinely wanted to move on from me for the sake of his career. Since we weren't in any relationships and his reasons were perfectly practical, I stopped calling him and expected to call him back.

And it striked to me. I felt like suddenly the whole circle of life was being completed. I met Nishchay, few days ago and now I met Kabir. My first love. Hopefully not the last one.

"Where were you? Thank God I found you" I heard Manan calling me from my back.

I turned around to find him smiling at me. But why was he searching for me in the middle of the match? I knew that his turn was not yet but it was unnatural for him to come out openly like that.

Thankfully the crowd wasn't around else we both would have been stalked by the paparazzi.

"Ummmm Manan this is Kabir and Kabir this is Manan" I gave the formal introduction in order to get out of the awkward situation.

And Manan's eyes lit up. I had already told him about all my crushes and especially about Kabir. He too had confided me with his. But according to him, I was his fantasy since the day he parted from me when we were kids.
It's true. You should never hide anything from your significant other. Even your past.

"I am a huge fan of yours. I am glad that this match is played in this city." Said Kabir humbly.

I noticed one thing about him that I had failed to notice during our school days. That Kabir talked with only few people. He was modest but only with few people whom he considered brilliant, just like he himself was.

"Me and Kuhu were very (emphasised) good Friends during the school days. I know her since 7th grade." He boosted.

"Even me and Kuhu were besties. Since the kindergarten." Manan replied. Equally humble.

"Oh." Said Kabir. "Thats great. Sometimes it happens that you lose the contact of people and they become limited only to your memories." He said. Indirectly referring to our mutual breakup. Unknown how much hurt I was.

"Na. It depends upon how much you want that person to stay in your life. Irrespective of any reason. If I want someone (he looked at me) to be in my life, I would try all the means to stay in touch with that person, irrespective of my situation or family or career." Manan was quick to defend me.

And it was the truth. He always tried to stay in touch with me throughout the days since we got separated. When he couldn't afford to call me, he would send me cheap but timely post cards. He never told me about his struggles and ups and downs of his life, yet ensured that he would know everything about me.

While we stood, Manan protectively put his arm around my shoulders as if to claim me. (And no I didn't mind. It was endearing to see him feel a little insecure)

Kabir looked down towards the ground thinking something (as if he understood what Manan meant) and after a few seconds, he looked at me.

"I am glad that you have him Kuhu. I take back my words... you definitely deserve him."

Manan looked puzzled but Kabir hugged me and gave a hearty handshake to Manan and bid his adieu. And I got the perfect closure that I wanted. Without any tears or bad words being exchanged. It was respectful , mature and quick.

I smiled while Manan took my hand and took me towards my seat.