Reactions (Escaped PT. 3) [Grian]

(December 20, 2019)

Word Count: 1066 words
Category: none
Warnings: none

I gracefully landed on the grass of the shopping district. It was where the fight took place. There were still patches of purple stained grass from the Watcher. I ignored them, walking around aimlessly. I passed many stores, looking around and thinking how much the district has grown.

"Grian? Since when did you have wings?" I hear a voice say. I turn to see Doc looking at me with a questioning expression.

"Since I was born. Why?"

"Do they actually function?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Nothing. Well, Xisuma called a meeting for the server. Most people can make it. Can you also come, or are you busy with something else?"

"I can come." I smile, spreading my wings. Doc grinned, sharp white teeth showing.

"Race you?" He challenged, taking rockets out.

"I'll beat you."

"Are you sure about that?" Doc launched into the air, leaving me. I flap my wings, laughing at his face when I effortlessly pass him.

Leaving him in the dust, I fly towards the meeting place. On the way, I eventually slowed down for Doc. He made fun of me by saying how I'm a bird man. I shrugged it off, laughing with how stupid the insult was. Both of us knew he was just playing and didn't mean anything by it.

We both landed at Scar's volcano, seeing many people gathered.

"What the- Grian, since when did you have wings?" Iskall yelled from where he was. I turned to him. The area instantly silenced, wanting to hear this interaction.

"Since I was born."

"Why didn't you tell us?" He sharply asked.

"Because they have just recently healed. It would be useless to show if they were mangled and broken." I reply in the same tone of voice. I never use any harsh voice because it reminded me of my time with the Watchers. It scared me, and would often scare other Watchers. My reply was close to that harsh voice I never use anymore. I subtly flinched, but thank goodness it wasn't noticeable.

"You still could've told us." He sounded conflicted, like he wanted to be happy for me, but still felt betrayed that I didn't say anything.

"Iskall, they were disgusting. They didn't even look like wings. They looked like a mess of blood and ripped feather." He wrinkled his nose, robotic eye flashing. He was getting agitated.

"But still, you could have mentioned it. Were you scared or something?" He sneered. This time, I flinched a noticeable flinch. Of course I was scared. These wings reminded me of my time as a Watcher. Not very good memories, I tell you that.

"Ah, so you were scared." Iskall taunted. I turned away, slipping on fingerless combat gloves that were sitting in my inventory. I said nothing. I only adjusted my gloves again.

"Well, Grian?"

"Yes, Iskall, I was scared! Do you remember that fight a while ago between the Watcher and I? I had to deal with those people every day when I was a Watcher! They did worse things than that! And these wings that sit in my back, Iskall, remind me of those horrible things they did to me!" I cried out, mixing emotion with that harsh voice I never use. He stepped back, scared from the tone I used. He opened his mouth to say something.

"No, Iskall, don't even start! I don't want to hear anything like, 'Oh, it probably wasn't that bad.' or anything like that." I continued, interrupting him. As I spoke, I approached Iskall. A faint purple flame flickered on my hand. Iskall tried to step back, but he stumbled on a rock.

"Do you know, Iskall, how I got this scar on my eye?" I ask, pulling him to his feet with one hand. I looked up at him, glaring at him.

From any outside view, the scene would have looked comical. A shorter man glaring up at a taller, a much taller man. But all the Hermits knew that it was not the case.

When Iskall didn't respond to my question, I answered it for him.

"This is from when I actually escaped. One Watcher sliced me deep in my eye with his obsidian trident." I hissed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some Hermits wince.

"Did you know, Iskall, that I can't see clearly out of that eye? Do you know that my left side is blurry to the point I don't know who is standing there?" I gestured to the left side to where I saw blobs of color that contrasted Scar's landscape.

"Do you know the things I've seen when I could clearly see, Iskall? Do you? The fighting, the arguments, the violence, the bloody bodies of my friends who tried fighting back?" I scream at the end. I released Iskall who I was holding up from the front collar of his shirt. I stepped back, crossing my arms and narrowing my eyes.

"My wings were the one thing that reminded me of my past." I comment, flashing my eyes a light shade of purple for a split second. His eyes widened but I didn't give him a chance to speak.

"So tell me, Iskall. If you had one thing that reminded you of a terrible past, what would you do with it? Hide it? That's what I did. Show people? They would just ask. They would ask, and keep asking me to show them." I turned away from him, looking at the gathered Hermits.

"Answer me honestly. What do you think?"

"Well, I don't blame you. From what you speak of about your past, that would've traumatized me." Mumbo started. Most Hermits nodded in agreement, along with some answers of 'yes' and 'mhm'.

"Well- I mean- he could've probably mentioned something... but I don't think that matters now though..." I hear Wels' timid voice say.

"Right." I say, basically ignoring him. I felt someone lay a hand on my arm. I turn to see Scar, who's looking at me with a kind expression.

"Well Grian, just remember that we- well, most of us- will always support you. No matter what." He said, gently smiling at me. I smile back, like nothing had happened. I turned to where I thought Xisuma was (and yes, he was there), and looked him straight in the eye.

"So. What did you want to meet about?"