Lightning Strikes Only Once [EX]

(September 20, 2020)

By drafts are filled with Ex and Ex only help I'm downing in them-

Summary: I needed more Ex stuff my bad y'all lmao
Word Count: 1180
Category: angst with happy ending, hurt/comfort, redemption, possible vent fic i just wanted to write something
Warnings: slight electrocution, hints at depression, and another awkward ending whoopsie

----------------

The air was static with the start of a lightning storm brewing. The winds spun harshly, ripping a few unfortunate leaves off the nearby trees. Rain pelted down from the dark clouds above, flattening the grass and causing mud to pool in the low spots.

It was vastly different than the weather hours before.

In the middle of the flashing strikes stood a red clad man, his fists clenched at his sides. He didn't care about the small pebbles of hail poking his bare skin. He didn't care about the fat raindrops sliding down his black visor. He didn't care about the whipping winds, so strong it almost knocked him off his feet.

He didn't know what he cared about.

Stiffing a wet chuckle, he lifted his helmet and wiped his face dry. The player couldn't tell if his face was wet from his tears or the rain, but it didn't matter or invalidate the fact that nothing mattered when it came to him.

He was just some lowly 'clone' (twin, actually) with 'Evil' plastered to the beginning of his brother's name. He was just some player standing alone in the middle of a field. He was just some wannabe Hermit that made one too many mistakes to be one. He was just some person who's pushed to the side because he isn't capable of doing good.

Ground shook when a lightning bolt struck a tree somewhere to his left. Ex felt the energy radiating from it, taking it yet getting drained by it at the same time. How curious—normally, lightning energized him.

Of course it doesn't when he needed it most.

Ex didn't notice his knees were weak until they slammed into the ground, a squishing sound audible over the next lightning bolt. His knee pads were now stained with mud, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

Why care if no one else cared?

So Ex sat there, the winds spiraling around him. His lightning strikes occasionally came dangerously close, shaking the ground and leaving an afterimage in his eyes. The tears that sprang to his eyes didn't help a single thing.

Anger bubbled in his chest. He knew he was stronger than this. He can survive isolation and being ignored. What was he fuming about? Everything? Nothing?

Ex failed to push down that tight feeling in his chest. Another lightning strike hit mere inches away from his muddy knees. It so large he physically pulled back as the bones under his skin shook. He knew he only survived it because of his affinity with lightning.

(And maybe, somewhere in the back of his mind, he wished it hit him. Maybe he wanted to ease the pain in his chest and lay in bed for the next couple weeks. Maybe... maybe he needed that surge of energy to overload his systems.)

And just as quickly as it came, the anger dissipated, along with the remaining energy he had.

Ex fell to his forearms, his chest heaving. He knew each and every weather-related thing that was happening around him was his doing. This entire situation was entirely his fault, not even he can deny it. Each lightning strike was his fault. Each drop of rain was caused by his will. Each gust of wind was his to command.

But at the same time, it wasn't. The lightning was uncontrolled bursts of emotion. The rain was each of his tears increased by tenfolds upon tenfolds. The wind was his uneven breaths on the brink of hyperventilation.

Ex figured he must look incredibly pathetic. He was on his fours, crying his heart out while the weather uncontrollably whipped around him.

What could be more pathetic than not being able to control his own emotions?

Someone called out his name. He thought it was a trick of his brain, a simple hallucination. The same voice yelled for him again. It was barely audible over the rushing gusts of winds, but it was there nonetheless. They called out again. It was louder this time. Another call. Were they trying to get his attention?

Ex looked up through blurry eyes, glancing around. Though the rain and hail was Xisuma trying his best to make it past the first violent ring of water. The admin was unable to pass the storm without a lightning bolt forcing him away.

He tried multiple times, doubling over in pain each time lightning struck his frame. Ex, not having anything better to do, gave a small doorway into the circle. It took way too much effort than it should have. The admin took it instantly, stepping though the parted water. He didn't know if there would be another one.

With a few stumbles and trips, the Hermit made his way towards his brother. Xisuma reached out his hand, lowering himself to his knees to get level with him. Ex glared at first, but paused when he noticed Xisuma's expression. A genuine glint desperateness shone in the admin's eyes. It was something he looked at every day in his bathroom mirror. No—he doesn't mean the physical appearance because they're twins—he means the desperate shine. Desperate for someone to talk with. Desperate for a normal life to live. Desperate for player interaction.

And Ex reached for his brother.

The Hermitcraft admin pulled his brother into a hug as soon as their grasp connected. He ignored the shock at the contact while Ex flinched harshly.

Then, like clockwork, the weather gradually calmed without any hitches. Xisuma, still in the tight hug, brought his hands up to the latches on Ex's helmet. The latter didn't try to stop him as the he pulled the helmet off, but he did turn his head to the side, hiding most of his face with his unkempt white hair.

The visible tear streaks on Ex's face only confirmed Xisuma's suspicions. Without a word, he pulled Ex closer again, tucking his head on his shoulder. Ex slumped onto Xisuma, making the admin take all of his weight.

Ex's breathing eventually evened out, and the Hermit easily scooped him up and walked back to his base. He vaguely wished he could see Ex as relaxed awake as he was during sleep.

Before Xisuma knew it, he had placed his brother into his base's bed. The admin spent time cleaning the grime off Ex's armor, gently to not disturb his needed sleep. Not once did Ex wake or stir. When he finished, Xisuma guiltily glanced at Ex before throwing a blanket over him and walking away silently.

As he closed the door to the room, Xisuma made a silent vow to himself. He would try his darndest to never let his brother fall into the same dark place ever again.

He would never let this lightning strike the same place twice.

----------------

Yes, elemental!Ex

Thank you for reading and have an amazing night! <3