Deaf PT 2. (BTHB) [Ren]

(May 4, 2020)

(basically part 1, ren was deaf but never told anyone about it. sorry its short.)

Box: Trying to Wake Them Up
Category: humor
Warnings: none

-------------

"Is he... does this usually happen?" Impulse leaned against the wooden wall with his arms crossed and a light smile on his face. Doc lightly shook Ren's shoulder, trying to wake him up. They have been trying for about twenty minutes now, but to no avail.

"No, or we'd never see him for days straight," Doc said, heaving a heavy sigh. Impulse laughed and shook his head.

"I mean, yeah, that makes sense." Impuse had been the first one to notice Ren hadn't been around for the last few days. While some may see this as normal, he usually sees Ren around the shopping district whether it was to stock his shop up or to stroll around.

Doc shook his friend harder, heaving an exasperated sigh. Crossing his arms, Impulse chuckled with a bemused expression. Ren suddenly squeezed his eyes shut even more. He wrinkled his nose, covering his face with his hands.

"Can you let a poor man sleep?" Ren grumbled, turning away. If he didn't look at them, it would be fine-

A strong hand grasped his shoulder, yanking him onto his back and forcing him to see the other Hermits. Ren hissed as the light caught his eyes. He pulled the sheets over his head, curling into a small ball.

Doc only stared at him with a blank expression. His claws curled around Ren's arm as if it were a warning. Ren groaned, feeling the scientist's gaze burning on the back of his neck.

"Guys, I'm tired, please let me sleeeeep," he said. Ren looked over his shoulder with a weak glare to which Doc rolled his eyes. The corner of Impulse's mouth twitched upwards. Ren scowled at their reactions.

"It's been three days, dude," he saw Doc say. Ren jolted up in surprise, almost somehow falling off the bed. Doc chuckled, putting a hand on his back to keep him from falling. Slowly making his way towards the door, Impulse lightly laughed at the situation.

"I'll just let you two talk, alright? Take care, both of you," Impulse said with a kind smile. He slipped out the door, not letting Doc or Ren protest. The latter silently turned to Doc, crossing his legs and tightly folding his arms.

After a few quiet moments, Ren asked, "Does he know?"

"Nope. He just thought you were extremely tired," Doc said, plopping a stair down and lackadaisically sitting on it. Ren nodded, cracking his knuckles. He yawned, earning a scoff from Doc.

"Dude, you just slept just for three days, why are you-"

"I'm tiiiiiiired," Ren complained, trying to grab the sheets again. Doc ripped them away, discarding them over his shoulder. "Hey!" The scientist smirked. Ren groaned in annoyance, hugging the pillow as tightly as he could. Doc sate there, as still as a statue.

"Hey, uh, did you... did you ever hear what Xisuma said at the end of that meeting?" Ren asked, the question on his mind for months on end. Doc tilted his head, looking to the ceiling. The question clearly caught him off guard.

"I think it was something about not trusting the others... don't know... I wasn't that close and it was long ago."

"Oh." Ren stared at the ground.

"Dude, I still don't know why you insist on keeping it a secret." Doc kicked up his legs on a nearby table and put his hands behind his head.

"No, I just don't want anyone to treat me differently. Do you know how much of a pain it is when I say something about being deaf and the person slows their talking as if they're talking to a toddler? It makes it harder to read their lips." Ren threw his hands in the air, then running them through his hair and lazily tying it back into a loose pony with a strip of leather. Doc visibly sighed. He knew it was true, but he didn't understand why Ren couldn't just say, 'Just talk to me normally, it's harder to read if you exaggerate the words.'

"Anyway, we have that build planned for later today." Doc said, raising an eyebrow.

"You're basically telling me to get up." Doc nodded, smirk still set on his face. Ren groaned, dragging his hand down his face. "Ah, okay, give me one minute." He stumbled out of the bed.

And give him one minute Doc did, because Ren had to catch up to him.

-------------