Fire (pt.3/3) [H.E.P and M.R.]

(November 9, 2020)

Summary: It ends here.
Category: that same Kingdom AU
Warnings: talk of killing
Word Count: 1139

We don't have a choice to stay
We would rather die
Than do it your way
-Ready Aim Fire, Imagine Dragons

-----------

It turns out Xisuma was half right about Grian being prepared.

When the time came, the H.E.P. forces stood where the Resistance HQ supposedly was. The moment they stepped into the entry hall, five traps were sprung at once. Lava fell from the ceiling, the floor opened up, the concrete powder walls fell down to reveal dispensers and splash potions, an annoyingly high pitched alarm went off, and TNT minecarts landed on top of them.

Xisuma pushed Scar into the central area of the base and blocked the rest of the explosions with his own body, taking the majority of the damage.

"This is why I told you to not come with me, my king," Xisuma said with a sigh, dusting the debris off his shoulder.

"General, I'm more than capable of-" An arrow missed his head by mere inches, and Scar let out a startled squeal. Xisuma sighed and brought up his shield, multiple thuds of arrows splintering the wood against his unwavering arm.

As the traps ran out of fuel, about half of Xisuma's forces were left in fighting shape. If Grian and Xisuma were to get locked in a battle, the amount of people fighting would be even, and vaguely, in the back of the general's mind, he was proud of Grian for making him underestimate their efforts.

However, the other half Xisuma was correct about is that they wouldn't be prepared.

Unfortunately, most of the Resistance was asleep, and the alarm that blared in their ears was only to alert them of the H.E.P.'s presence.

It was no surprise that the main Resistance members, the ones who first joined, were the first to step into the fire zone. The other unnamed members filed in from all sized of the base, leaving the H.E.P. virtually surrounded.

And after a moment's pause, the battle begun.

<===>

It was a similarly matched battle. The Resistance members were far better with combat than the H.E.P., the the latter had better still with range weapons. Xisuma's tactics relied on logic and skill, which was balanced with Grian's traps and his constant use of surprise.

Later in the fight, Xisuma had lost Scar and Etho lost Grian. Of course, both were concerned. Had the leader been killed somehow? Were the preparing something no one else knew about? Obviously they didn't show it, the general and former lieutenant had to keep their cool, but they couldn't help but to not worry.

Eventually, Xisuma got into a position that practically won the battle. He knew Etho was hiding behind the corner of a hall. He himself stood in the middle of the ruined central room, grasping Grian's shoulder with a tight hold and a dagger under his chin. The general could feel each of the builder's shaky breaths. X hoped to whatever higher up was out there that this fight, this stupid little rebellion would finish and his friends could unite again.

"Surrender, Etho," Xisuma softly called out as he blocked out the raging battle around him. "I do not want to kill him, but if I have to, I will."

Etho called back, "Oh, yes, I know that." He shuffled around the corner, pulling someone with him, holding them in a choke hold around their neck. "Though, I believe we're on even grounds right now."

Scar glared up at Etho, trying in vain to pull his arm away from this throat. It was a shame that Etho was far stronger and didn't yield to the kings poor attempts.

"Now now, General Xisuma, I expected better of you. Why bring the king of the kingdom into battle like this? You know better than that, I'm sure of it," Etho said with a tilt of his head.

"Could say the same for you, eh?"

Etho snorted. "To be completely fair, Grian is the general and usually does partake in most of his battles."

The kingdom's general and the former lieutenant glared at each other, though, Xisuma's glare was more of weariness than anger and Etho's was mostly defiance.

The lieutenant voice dropped from his normal playful tone. "So, we seem to be in a bit of a stalemate." He nodded to Grian, then directed his gaze to Scar. "If you slit his throat, I'll snap his neck."

Xisuma's grip on his dagger tightened. "Threatening the crown has consequences-"

"And the moment you brought him into battle those rules get thrown out the window," Etho countered.

Xisuma stilled. Scar shook his head, his wide eyes obviously telling him to not do anything. "How about this, Etho, we strike a deal, aye?"

"Depends on what you offer, General."

The general took a breath, locking his jaw. He vaguely wondered how far he could push it in H.E.P.'s favor, but pushing a barging in enemy territory could be fatal. "... We call this war a draw, no wins, no looses."

"And that's it?" Etho asked, sharing a look with Grian.

"Yes." The two Resistance leaders seemed to have a telepathic conversation.

Etho eventually tilted his head. "Add that you will not suppress the others' rights and you won't arrest the Resistance members. You've got yourself a deal if you do so."

The king hissed at the hidden accusation, but was quickly silenced with a gag when Etho slightly tightened his hold.

Xisuma kept a wary eye on Etho. "... You drive a hard bargain, Etho. Where'd you hear we would have arrested you?"

"Your H.E.P. members aren't exactly what I would call secretive. Plus, the other Hermits who aren't involved in the war tend to forget those who are."

Xisuma gave a strained chuckle. "Sure. And what if I refuse your deal?" Etho's gaze hardened, the smirk in his eyes evident.

"Then I will kill Scar and the floor underneath you will open to an escapeless pit. The TNT minecarts positioned above your head will drop on you as Grian flies out of the trap."

Xisuma naturally looked towards the ceiling. He wouldn't doubt there's a legitimate trap, considering the Resistance's overall strategy. The general just doesn't know if the trap was the one Etho described

"... Ah. Right. Well, alright. ... If that's what it takes to leave the king alive... then you've got a deal."

Etho's smirk turned into a smile as Xisuma sent an apologetic glance towards Scar. Grian let out a victory whoop as Scar scowled.

Almost in unison, the generals released the leaders, nudging them back to their respective side. The second-in-hands nodded at each other, as the leaders only shared a respected gaze. 

And as the news spread all around the kingdom, the Hermits rejoiced the end of the war that split the group into pieces.

-----------

I need to do unhappy endings some day.

Thank you for reading, have a great day :)