Aim (pt.2/3) [Scar and Xisuma]

(November 6, 2020)

many uploads a weak go brrr

Also, if you're interested, I put an edited and longer version of Ready on Ao3. It's called Change in Tactics on there though, (though my user is the same and there's only one work on my account lmao).

Summary: Scar and Xisuma talk about the war and the Resistance
Category: The same AU as 'Ready' (I'm sure you can guess what the third part will be named)
Warnings: none but I'd just like to say I fell asleep half was through this and panicked when I woke up way later than I wanted so half is rushed lol
Word Count: 833

Oh that light, oh is bright
Sleep for today but tomorrow we fight
-Tomorrow We Fight, by Tommee Profitt

--------------

At the rail of a balcony, Scar stood with his hands folded behind his back. Below him, the sounds of war raged as the two sides of the conflict clashed with each other. He frowned at the thought of fighting his close acquaintances. Mild disappointment flooded his mind at the little rebellion attempt, he expected better of the higher ranked people in the kingdom. 

Footsteps from behind shook him out of his thoughts.

"General?" the king called out, not looking back to know it was Xisuma.

"Yes, your majesty?" Xisuma folded his hands behind his back. The sword as his belt clanked with his armor when he stopped walking.

The king made sure to keep his tone light. "Are you a hundred percent sure they won't see it coming?"

By it, Xisuma could only assume the surprise attack plan he brought to the king days prior. "... Grian is inexperienced. To expect such an attack without preparing for it beforehand is... rather stupid."

The king turned his head ever so slightly. "I don't hear a definite yes or no, General..." Xisuma said nothing. "General." Scar's voice was dangerously low and tight.

X's shoulders tensed as he leaned against a pillar. "You said Etho was on their side."

"Indeed. You saw his name on the list." The king tilted his head, adjusting his robe. Xisuma exhaled a sigh silently, biting his lip. He wiped a hand over his visor, moving his hand to scratch the back of his neck.

"Then no doubt about it, Etho is guiding Grian in the art of strategy. One doesn't just suddenly change their style of fighting a war. The surrounding was definitely Etho's suggestion... and now this-" Xisuma gestured to the range weapons the forces of the Resistance had, and, subtly, their slowly depleting forces. "-had to be Etho. Using the information that Etho has finally had some input, he probably told Grian to expect some midnight attack from us."

"You're overthinking this, General," Scar said. He finally unclasped his hands, grasping the balcony rail with a tight grasp.

"That's how generals are successful--by never underestimating the opponent. Plus, the midnight thing mostly an Xisuma thing." A stray arrow flew up from the battlefield below, impaling itself into the pillar next to X's head.

Scar propped his head on his fist, not even reacting to the projectile. "No, not like that. Would the Resistance really have the supplies to defend themselves from an attack set at midnight?"

Xisuma plucked the arrow out of the wall and snapped it with one hand, dropping it over the edge of the balcony. "Unlikely. But we can't ignore the fact that Grian might be playing stupid, and... I dunno, set another trap for us."

Scar stood there in silence. The battle below the two high ranks still raged with no stop in sight. The battles often lasted longer than usual, since half of Xisuma's normal ranks were with the resistance.

The king squeezed the rail until his knuckles turned white. "General, carry out the plans anyways. I find it unlikely, even in the event they know it's coming, that they are able to defend themselves. I'm getting sick of the Resistance slipping through our fingers like a raw floppy fish," Scar commanded, glaring down at the field.

Xisuma nodded his head with a bow. "Yes, your majesty." However, he couldn't hide the uncertainty in his voice.

Scar finally turned around, and just with two strides, stood in front of Xisuma. He grabbed the general's shoulders, squeezing them reassuringly.

"Xisuma, we'll be alright." The formality in Scar's voice dropped. "I know you'll make sure to not kill any of them during the attack. We'll be alright."

X nodded hesitantly. "Of course, but what about after when and if we succeed? Were the death penalties a joke, or are you actually going to..."

"X, I'd never stoop so low." Scar turned to walk away, back inside. He stopped in the doorframe, turning his head so Xisuma could see half his face. The general wasn't sure if he was hallunicating, but he could have sworn

"But of course, there has to be some punishment."

--------------

Thank you for reading and have a great day or night! <3