The Thing About Masks... [Etho and Bdubs]

(July 14, 2020)

Word Count: 600
Category: humor
Warnings: none

------------

When it came to his base, Etho's goal of making the othe Hermits ponder, 'what the heck was he thinking?' was coming along rather nicely. Each room served it's purpose (albeit oddly), it was an organized mess, and he himself had no idea of what he was doing.

But he did have an idea of what Bdubs was doing when he caught the short- ahem, average-height man sneaking around said base.

"What are you doing?" Etho sharply called out in the silence, startling the poor sneaking Hermit. Bdubs yelped, whipping around and shoving a suspiciously end rod-looking object into his inventory.

"Uh... nothing?" At Etho's amused glare, his shoulders drooped. "Shame?" he said, halfheartedly pulling out the end rod neither of them wanted.

"Uh huh," Etho dryly hummed. A ghost of a smile pulled at his lips, hidden underneath his navy mask. "Found anything?" He leaned against a fence, crossing his arms and tilting his head. Bdubs grinned in response, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"There was this chest I found in the corner near the llama track thing..." If Etho's jaw tightened with guilt, the mask he wore covered it. It was useless though, the slight tense of his shoulders gave away everything Bdubs needed.

"Don't-" Etho tried, only to he interrupted by Bdubs' booming and overexcited voice.

"You've got a pink polka-dot mask! I can't believe it!"

"I-" Etho glared at Bdubs as the man's wheeze cut him off again.

"Heck, you have almost every color and pattern in existence! How'd you fit all of those in that tiny single chest? There's soooooo many!" Bdubs doubled over, clutching his stomach from laughing too hard. It took minutes for him to recover, and even longer for Etho to get a word in.

Etho wrinkled his nose as he said, "If you say anything, Cleo won't be the only Hermit with multiple Bdubs heads-"

The threat went unheard. Bdubs had flown off, the sound of returning laughter and his unnecessary spam of fireworks masking Etho's voice.

The ninja sighed, tuning back to where Bdubs had lost it. With a scoff and an incoherent mutter, Etho realized the small builder didn't forget to leave that end rod in his wake.

Dang.

-The next day.-

The Shopping District was louder today.

"Come on, Etho!" Bdubs' voice rang out, audible across the island. A quieter groan followed, exasperated. Etho trudged on the paths, the other following closely.

"No." The ninja threw a mock glare over his shoulder, hoping to get the builder to drop it.

He didn't.

"What about another color? I saw green, teal, red, brown, silver, gold, a heck ton of mixed patterns that looked kinda cool, there was also-"

"No." The tone was sharp, but Bdubs could hear the smile in Etho's voice.

"Please, just one day!" When he got no reaction, there was only one logical thing to do.

Bdubs drew in the most dramatic breath in and yelled, "Etho has a pink polka-dot mask!"

Over.

And over.

And over.

And-

"Bdubs! I'm not going to wear it!" Etho said, throwing his hands to the air (totally trying to hit Bdubs).

"Well, now everyone knows you have it." Bdubs dodged and gestured to their ringing communicators. Etho groaned, dragging his hands down his face and tightening his mask. He punched Bdubs and stepped into the nether portal.

"Incredible," Etho muttered in the driest voice he could muster.

Bdubs only snickered in response.

------------

Apologies for any mistakes, I blame the phone I'm typing this on