Ready (pt.1/3) [Grian and Etho]

(November 4, 2020)

Summary: I can't write wars. :)
Category: Some random kingdom AU where the hep vs resistance is actually at a legitimate war.
Warnings: I know it's just a storyline, however I can't help but to not exaggerate it
Word Count: 916

We may be the first to fall
Everything can stay the same, or we could change it all
-Meet Me On The Battlefield, SVRCINA

--------------

Battered, bloody, and bruised was not ideal in a war.

"Are you sure we want to continue?" Impulse said, taking stock of the outside damages and the injuries of the other members. 

"They haven't found out headquarters," Grian said, turning away to the pawns and maps laid out on the main meeting table. Stress silently passed him a clean cloth for the minor cut in his forearm. The general took it without his eyes leaving the table, muttering a thanks to the medic.

"I'll take that as a no," muttered Etho, leaning against the pillar and holding his injured arm. "I mean, I'm all for the movement, don't get me wrong, but... it feels like we're on the losing side, y'know? Scar is the king, if he catches us, he can order us to be executed on the spot. Can't forget Xisuma, you know how damaging his tactics are. There's a reason he's the general of the entire army of our kingdom."

Impulse nodded wordlessly, leaving with Stress to tend to other businesses. As they left, the redstoner then glanced towards their flag--a mycelium block on a dull purple backgound, something that symbolized peace and change in their area of Minecraft. They definitely could have picked another object to symbolize their cause, but the things tend to stick, even unintentionally.

With a scowl, Grian pulled one of the pawns closer to where the HQ was located. "I'm not quitting unless I get my life tortured out of me." Grian pounded his fist on the table, the pawns wobbling slightly. "They're trying to suppress the rights of the other citizens. It's so painfully obvious they're using 'environmental protection' as a cover. I can't let this happen, Etho."

"Uh huh... but I didn't say you had to."

Grian only raised an eyebrow at that.

Etho limped closer to the table, analyzing the placements of the pawns. "What I'm saying is that we need to change our strategy-"

"Does it look like we're not-"

"General, please let me finish." Only Etho would have the guts to interrupt Grian. "There's a difference in strategy and tactics. Strategy is long term, tactics is something you'd change to achieve the strategy. You've been changing tactics, not the strategy."

"Etho, if you keep-"

"Your main strategy is to use brute force to take down the government. The tactics you change are within the fronts, all you do is switch up who's fighting and who's not. Maybe sometimes they will change what they do, but overall, it stays the same."

"Alright then, Mr. General, what do you suggest we do?"

"Former lieutenant, actually. Used to be second in command to Xisuma before I traveled elsewhere for a while," Etho corrected with a smile before leaning over the table. He grabbed two of the seven pawns and moved them behind the H.E.P. Headquarters. As he grabbed two more and put one on each side, he said, "I know Xisuma would be expecting this at some point, but probably not so soon. Surrounding this late in the war always catches the other side off guard, and the H.E.P. tend to not guard their backsides because you focus so much on the front."

Grian squinted at Etho suspiciously, absently messing with an extra pawn. "And how do you know that?"

"I sneak around during attacks sometimes. Anyways, you might want to go with this for a few days, then change it again. Probably use mostly range attacks, not just swords and axes." Etho then leaned back with an impressed whistle. "Xisuma really got those archers trained to shoot between the shields, but their archers don't have shields because we never use bows or crossbows."

Grian pursed lips, eyes pinned on the formation around the opposing headquarters. "M'kay, dully noted, but you were just lecturing me on my strategy and all you've changed is the tactics. What about the strategy? Got any advice on that?"

"Right." Etho clapped his hands together. "Do you really want to destroy H.E.P., leaving nothing but a burning hole in the ground, or do you just want to get the point across?"

"It's all about the principle, duh."

"Then maybe try for less destructive outcomes," Etho said with a wink. He pushed himself away from the table, heading in the direction of the infirmary. Grian growled to himself, crossing his arms and pouring all his attention at the maps and pawns.

"Oh my goodness, this is so frustrating, so often you answer in riddles," Grian muttered. Etho circled the table, standing next to the general of the Resistance. 

"It takes time to master the art of strategy. You're only brushing the surface of it. Think of this as a learning experience, Grian," the former commander said, patting Grian's shoulder. "Can't get better unless you make mistakes. Plus, with me here, I'm sure we'll be okay." Etho pulled his mask back for a short moment, giving the general a mischievous grin.

And before Grian could say his smart come-back, Etho was gone. Not even the sound of footsteps was left in his wake.

--------------

idk about the symbolism of mycelium, but I said peace and change because mycelium islands are mob-proof, and it can change dirt into... more mycelium.

Thank you for reading and have an amazing day! <3