Alone Together [Team ZIT]

(August 3, 2020)

small slightly important note at the end

Word Count: 1585
Category: backstory
Warnings: none

this was actually for a school history project but i had these three in mind while writing it. so i kinda just edited their names in, changed a few things, and ta-da a one shot

i also feel like not proofreading something that was written on a phone is a bad idea but lmao idgaf

--------------

They were alone for the longest of times, fighting for their lives against the wilderness.

After the fourth month, they lost track of time, and that was over six years ago. Time, however, wasn't the only thing they lost. They lost communication with everyone besides each other on the first day, they lost their direction on the third day, they lost their survival work in a fire in the second month...

One might consider it impressive they hadn't gone insane or given up, leaving themselves to die to the wild animals. Before it all happened, they might have, but they are living proof people can change (unlike what the rest of the town thought).

Zedaph's hearing and sight improved, especially in the night. Impulse's fight or flight response had been shaped to react almost instantly, getting the three of them out of life-threatening situations. Tango's hunting skills improved greatly, he could take on a full grown lion without gaining many scratches.

In other words, they did just fine in the wild (maybe gaining some animalistic characteristics. Later they would say it was necessary to survive for as long as they did, and no one disagreed). Their little home they built out of wooden planks survived the small storms that passed over, the crops were thriving, their tools were well made, the healing methods they used and adapted worked like a charm, and their adventures to explore the surrounding areas went as good as they could go.

This day, however, they ventured farther than they normally would have.

But maybe they had ventured a little too far.

The moment they spotted the unfamiliar group many blocks in front of them, their minds blanked at the thought of other humans. Impulse had taken initiative when they all froze, dragging Zed and Tango backwards and back to their little camp. They knew it was too late though, the group had spotted them already. The three survivors scrambled away as the prickly green prairie grass scratched their backs.

It was going too fast to think coherently. They didn't know how long they had been running, but it seemed like they just started and all of eternity at the same time. Their hearts pounded against their ribs as Zedaph tripped on a hidden branch and tumbled to the ground. Tango and Impulse hauled him to his feet, glancing over their shoulders. The other group was gaining on them. They were moving faster than the trio could run.

Impulse pulled his friends in front of him and pushed them forwards. They had to go faster, faster than they have ever gone before.

The fear in their minds and the adrenaline coursing through their veins pushed them harder than any time in the past. The feeling of going as fast as they were would have been euphoric if it were any other situation, and not one where they were running for their lives.

"They're gonna catch us!" Zedaph squeaked, his eyes wide with fear. He had been keeping a steady pace with Impulse, who grabbed his hand with a comforting squeeze.

Tango growled at Zed's revelation, quickly gazing over his shoulder once more. Normally he'd be making jokes about how they were slow, but he seems to have understood the seriousness of the situation. Tango directed his red eyes to the two slightly behind him. "No, they're not. Don't think like that."