𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ]

I pushed through the streams of guards and soldiers and, despite their screams at me to stop, I flung myself into the cell. Test Subject 312 hadn't calmed down- his manner was still fierce and brutal.

"Stop." It was one word, one simple word but the whole world seemed to freeze. The boy became motionless, stopped his violence towards the guards and faced me.

"Please leave us," I said forcefully, directing the armed men towards the door.

"But Miss-"

"Leave. Your weapons are scaring him."

One by one, alongside the orders of Dr Choi, the soldiers retired from the room leaving me and Test Subject 312.

"Please don't be scared," I told him, dropping my harsh exterior instantly. This boy had faced cruelty for a long time and it must be a relief to experience even an ounce of kindness. I tried to smile but my eyes revealed my true emotion- overwhelming sympathy.

"I wanted to apologize about the other day. I shouldn't have touched you without prior permission. It was fault."

The boy's eyes snapped up to meet mine and they widened in shock. His lip parted softly and his whole demeanor remained frozen. He'd probably not been treated in such a humane way for an unbearably long time.

Hesitantly, I took a small step towards him and he didn't react viciously so I continued my advance. I motioned my hands towards his.

"Can I?"

He looked confused but didn't reply. With a sigh I steadily held out my hands towards him, our fingers just centimeters apart. It felt strange to be so close to him but, much to my confusion, I wasn't scared.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I clarified and slowly wiggled my fingers forward by an inch. His eyes were now fixated on my hands as I motioned for him to make contact. Just as I began to think that we weren't going to make any progress, I felt a newfound warmness press against my hand.

My stomach twisted and I felt my heart leap as I focused my gaze onto our joined fingers.

His hands were larger than mine and lined with veins- I knew it wouldn't take much if he wanted to strangle me. He truly held power in his hands. However, I didn't fail to notice the blood pooling from his knuckles.

"You're hurt!" I exclaimed, retracting my hand and rushing to grab a first aid kit from the observation room. Dr Choi stood at the door, not looking at me as she held out the green medical kit. I smiled smugly, knowing that I'd finally bested the woman and proved my worth.

The box was jam packed with medical equipment, some that I'd never even witnessed before. I took a wild guess that Test Subject 312 got injured often. Rummaging through it wildly, I found the plasters.

"Come here," I motioned towards the bathroom as I removed the plastic wrappers from the plasters and disposed them in a nearby bin. The en-suite bathroom, which Test Subject 312 had access to from his cell, startled me. I'd expected simplicity, with a simple toilet and basin at most, but the bathroom was decently lavish with a walk in shower and a cupboard full of essentials. The whole room was practically gleaming and as I reached to turn on the tap, I felt self conscious about simply touching and staining the cool metal. However, I quickly ignored my insecurities and ensured that the water was running at a perfect, lukewarm temperature.

By the time I'd finished ogling the bathroom, Teat Subject 312 has skunked in behind me and stood, in the corner, awkwardly wringing his hands with his head down. His whole demeanour stunned me; he looked so innocent and pure as though he wouldn't hurt a soul.

I tentatively grabbed his hands and brought them to the tap, washing away the blood that encompassed his knuckles before wrapping it in a towel that I had found folded on the nearby cabinet. Then I reached for the plasters slowly attaching the sterile dressing delicately to each cut. The only thing I couldn't help was the monstrous bruises blossoming along his pale skin.

"There," I said, smiling in achievement. "You're all better."