𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

a/n: I can't really explain this chapter, it just sort of happened :0

who's your least favourite character?
- definitely dr choi, she's a meanie :(

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 ]

"Jungkook, I'm so sorry." I said. My heart hurt after listening to his story about his mum who abandoned him before proceeding to replace him. It was absolutely absurd. She definitely lacked maternal instinct. "You're better with out her anyway. You've got six amazing brothers because of what she did."

He nodded and sent me a pursed smile, attempting to appear happy. We sat for a couple minutes in silence whilst I waited for him to let out his emotions. Jungkook was anything but an open book and it took a lot of coaxing to admit that he was hurting. With a loose sigh, he confessed the reason why he was so down. "I miss them."

He didn't need to elaborate; I knew what he was feeling. Just like I longed to be back in the arms of my family, he wanted to be reunited with his.

Anxious about the answer, I stuttered out a suggestion. "Can I give you a hug?"

To my shock, he didn't look remotely dazed and instead welcomed me into his arms. I smiled lopsidedly as I wrapped a tentative arm round his stomach. "My mum always gives me cuddles when I'm feeling sad. They're nice, right?"

Jungkook eyes crinkled in the corners as he let out a laugh. "They're nice."

I nestled against his abdomen just as a knock rung throughout the room. I heard the door click open and looked up to see Jeno staring at us blankly. "What is this? A lovers embrace?"

There was something odd about the look on his face- I couldn't tell if it was anger or disgust.

I launched myself from Jungkook, blushing and flustered as I reached for my belongings. I hastily threw my items into my carry-on case and covered my face with my hands. I couldn't believe Jeno walked in to see that. Couldn't he have waited a minute later?

From the corner of my eye I could see Jungkook smirk at my embarrassment and I pulled my tongue out at him as I sidled up to Jeno. "I'll be out in a moment, just give me a minute." He frowned but agreed and slipped from the room.

"Your friend has impeccable timing."

"Oh shut up," I joked but I could already feel the embarrassment flushing my cheeks once more and I found myself struggling to maintain eye contact.

"I just wanted to ask," he paused, his posture hunched. "Will you come tomorrow night? I need to speak to you."

"Yeah, I mean of course I'll come just- yeah," I stammered stumbling over my words. For some reason, I was struggling to stay coherent around this boy. Just as I left the room, I could see him throw his head back and he shook with laughter. What a douche.

"Finally," Jeno groaned when I stepped into the observation room. "You were in there for hours."

With a curled lip, I retorted back. "We had a lot to talk about. He tells me things unlike someone else that I know."

It was a petty dig but I needed to know the reason why Jeno didn't tell me that he'd been a part of this whole 'experiment', just like me. I was fed up of secrets.

He scowled at me. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Just as I went to reply, the door to the observation room swung open and revealed another guard. The argument between me and Jeno was quickly forgotten as we flashed each other alarmed looks.

"What's going on here?" The man asked, his eyes narrowed. He was a tall and rather pudgy man with a rather intimidating presence. I gulped nervously.

"Oh- umm. Well you see umm...Test Subject 312 had a-"

"A fever," Jeno piped in, fidgeting at my side.

"Yes, a fever and I was just coming to check it out. Right?" Play along. Play along.

"Absolutely." I let out a breath of relief. Even though it was probably a suspicious story, at least we managed to pull it off.

However, the man(who I realised was Don, the man who Jeno had been covering for) seemed to have a different idea. "Dude it's okay, you've covered for me enough that I can return the favour."

"Return the favour?" I asked as Don laughed joyously and sent a wink to Jeno.

"Just make sure you use protection," he chuckled.

"Use prote- OH. No, no sir you're severely mistaken." This was not what I wanted. Now everyone probably thought that me and Jeno were a thing. I was already dreading the gossip. The laboratory was small enough that news got around quickly and, unfortunately for me, I'd now be under the limelight for a least a week.

"You don't have to be embarrassed." He winked again and waggled his eyebrows. "Have a good night."

Me and Jeno froze and stared at each other with wide eyes. Even though Jeno's intentions were unclear, he also hadn't expected that situation to unfold.

As we left the room awkwardly, my embarrassment kicked in again and I had to fan myself. "Did he think," my voice dropped to a whisper, "that we we going to have sex?"

Jeno chortled but also seemed as horrified as I was. "Are you that disgusted?" He taunted.

"Yes!" I shivered. I hoped that I hadn't hurt his pride too much but the idea of me and Jeno being together made me cringe internally. He was my closest friend which made the whole prospect gross and weird. Also, I still hadn't forgiven him.

"There's something up isn't there?" He asked. The amusement had ebbed from his face as he straightened his back and gave me a harsh look. "Lover boy told you didn't he?"

"That you're a compulsive liar? Yeah he did."

He barked a strained laugh. "Of course he did."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I scowled, directing a glare at him. He was constantly picking at Jungkook's flaws. "I though you liked Jungkook?"

"I like the idea of helping him, okay?" He snapped. "All I wanted was to get him out of here for my sister. My sister who died at the hands of one of these experiments need I remind you?"

"That wasn't Jungkook."

"It might as well have been. You know I would've given up on helping Jungkook weeks ago if it wasn't for you. I've been doing this all for you and you've done nothing but avoid me like the plague." He had a sour expression on his face, like he'd eaten a lemon. The look was almost scary on the boy. It certainly didn't fit his youthful and usually happy features.

"You're putting the blame on me then? Even though you blatantly lied to me?" I was astounded.

He pursed his lips but nodded, his gaze unwavering as he stared me down.

I laughed in disbelief. "You're unbelievable Jeno, I'm leaving."

I turned to walk down the corridor, in the opposite direction from him, my heels clicking incessantly on the marble floor. I heard a scuffle behind me. "I won't be here tomorrow night!" He shouted. "You can do this on your own!"

I turned to look at him, pointing an angry finger at him. "I'm coming here tomorrow either way. If you were really my friend, you wouldn't let me be caught."

Tomorrow would be the real test to see if Jeno truly cared about me. If he didn't come, I'd be caught and kicked out of my job and face endless repercussions. This could definitely be the breaking point in our friendship. I'd just have to see what tomorrow night brings.