𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ]

"I hate this place."

I had been walking with Jeno from lunch when we'd launched into a conversation about MediHeal Laboratories.

"They're a bunch of hypocrites and they mistreat Test Subject 312 so much. What did he do to deserve this? I mean, I know he's a bit different with his extraordinary strength but that doesn't give them an excuse to abuse him. If people knew what happened on Level 5, there would be riots."

Jeno paused, as if he was considering my words before letting out a sigh.

"You shouldn't say such things, if any one overheard, you'd be fired. Plus, everyone who's ever met Test Subject 312 has been scared of him, even us. If MediHeal created decent propaganda, no one would ever doubt that Test Subject 312 isn't a monster that deserves to be locked up. It's all rigged."

Jeno has a good point but I couldn't help but clutch my fists, my fingernails digging into my palm, in anger. I felt the skin split under the force applied and blood began to seep from the cut.

"Well Dr Choi has tried to get me fired every day but so far that hasn't happened. That woman doesn't scare me anymore but you're probably right. We're completely hopeless in this situation. For goodness sake, I don't even know what Test Subject 312's name is."

I sighed in exasperation and pressed my key card against a lock and heard the familiar click of my office door opening. I shared this little nook with Mr Manrari who, as of late, had mysteriously disappeared but it didn't really matter. This office was practically mine anyway; he never used it.

"Wait, hold on," Jeno shouted, pouncing into a chair across from my desk, "you don't know his name?"

My eyes shot upwards. "You know his name?"

"Yeah, I found his notes from his facility in America."

"America?!"

Jeno looked even more confused than me and leaned forward, his head tilted to the side.
"Huh, they really told you nothing?"

I didn't answer; my answer was blatantly obvious from my blank look and lack of understanding.

"Well Test Subject 312 was brought into a laboratory, in America, when he was nine years old. They tested on him and somehow, along with a few others, made a group of invincible humans. That was till the entire place burnt to the ground. I assume he had been on the run before MediHeal caught him and dragged him back here."

My heart sunk and I felt bile rise in my throat. He had been dragged here when he was merely a child? They had ruthlessly tested on him? He had been free? He had friends? No wonder he had been crying the first time I had met him, they'd stripped him of everything.

"How do you know all this?" I choked, holding back the tears threatening to spill. I felt horrified, sickened. For the past few years I had been working here, willingly, unaware of the unfair treatment happening to children.

"I found a unnamed file a few years back. I tried to save it all before they deleted it but I only managed to scrape the basics. I can get you them but if you want details, you'll have to ask Jungkook yourself."

Jungkook?