𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

a/n : please stay safe during this pandemic!

ps : this isn't jeno from nct

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 ]

For the next few days I continued to do Test Subject 312's daily health checks. He'd finally let me get close enough to check his pulse and heart rate and I felt him becoming more relaxed around me. Hopefully, I'd be able to crack his hard exterior and view the real person inside soon. I wanted him to be open with me. I wanted us to be friends.

I arrived at cell 8, a little later than my previous appointments, but I assumed Dr Choi would be okay with it. She'd been a little bit more accepting of me recently albeit still prickly.

When I arrived into the observation room, the en-suite room attached to the cell, I was surprised to see how little surveillance there was. The room, usually crammed with armed soldiers and scientists, was practically empty and the majority of the cameras were switched off. What was going on?

I walked up to one of the remaining soldiers in my room and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned round to look at me and I gaped at how young he was. He couldn't have been much older than me.

"Excuse me?" I stuttered, wrapping my arms around my body in comfort. "What's going on here?"

He looked down at me, his tall figure looming over mine.

"It's training period?" He stated, seeming to question me. He looked about as confused as I did.

"Training period?"

"Yeah, when the experiment goes to train."

My mind whirled as I turned to look into the cell. I must have been blind, how did I not notice the absence of Test Subject 312's familiar figure? More importantly, how did I not know about this 'training'? I had been certain that Dr Choi was going to be less exclusive and include me in the well-being of this boy. I'd assumed wrong.

"Where does he train? Can you take me?"

The soldier stilled, scrutinising me from head to toe before shrugging.

"I suppose so but don't expect it to be of much excitement. He normally refuses to do anything."

With that, he escorted me out into the corridor and we began to walk.

"So," I murmured awkwardly, trying to make conversation, "What's your name?"

"Jeno."

It was a small and simple answer but it made me smile anyway. I had the feeling this guy was trying to act hard and heroic even though he was probably just a nice, ordinary person.

"I'm Hayeon"

He didn't answer, just cracked a small smile. It made me feel a bit more at ease; I really wanted to find out what this 'training' included.

"So, this training, what is the test subject expected to do?"

We arrived at an elevator and Jeno pressed a button.

"Test his strength mostly but, like I stated earlier, he never does anything. You think he'd be grateful to get out of that cell, I certainly would be."

"Me too."

The familiar ding of the elevator rang throughout the hall and the doors opened before us. As the elevator transported us to the training arena, we travelled in comfortable silence occasionally glancing at one another. Just as I was going to start a conversation again, the doors opened once again and the guard ushered me out.

"Here we are," he said, pushing a code into a pin and opening a steel door.

It was then when I realised that me and Jeno were standing on a raised platform protected by a layer of thick, reinforced glass. I noticed Test Subject 312 straight away, stood in the large arena, similar to a high school gym, doing absolutely nothing.

He stood in the middle of the room, his arms crossed in indignation. Despite only changing out of the orange jumpsuit, I was accustomed to, into sportswear, I was startled by the sight. It seemed so strange to see him in ordinary clothing as if he was going to start jogging down the street or pop to the gym. It just made my sympathy expand more.

"I told you, he refuses to do anything," Jeno muttered, proving his point as he waved his hand towards the motionless boy, "I'm leaving."

It was almost as if Test Subject 312 could hear him and his head snapped towards the direction of me. I could see his mouth widen into a small 'o' and his eyebrows lift. He obviously wasn't expecting me to be there.

I sheepishly lifted my arm and gave a feeble wave which made him straighten and turn back, facing the other direction. What had I done? I tried to capture his attention again but he refused to face towards me but I didn't hesitate to notice the nervous twitching in his leg. Was he scared?

With a reluctant sigh I turned towards Jeno, who had decided to wait for me, and left the room. I was going to find out why he refused to get close to me. I was going to understand.