𝐓𝐄𝐍

a/n : I want to apologise for this atrocious chapter, I promise the next one is a lot more interesting

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍 ]

"Guess what I got!" I squealed, entering Test Subject 312's cell with a skip in my step. "Pizza!"

Ever since Dr Choi had, once again, disregarded me and refused to let me know more about Test Subject 312, I had isolated myself. I stopped coming to check up on Test Subject 312 which, although made me feel bad, was payback for ignoring me. The whole scheme was extremely bratty but, to my surprise, it worked. Not even three days passed and Jeno was knocking of my door telling me that Dr Choi wished for me to return to take Test Subject 312's temperature.

Jeno and I had become quite close during my short-lived break. Whether it was the closeness in age or our shared passion to end the injustice towards Test Subject 312, we became almost inseparable.

Jeno had told me that he'd become a security guard in honour of his little sister who had died at the hands of an experiment.

"They don't know what happened," he had told me, one night after his shift. "One minute this guy was fine and then the next minute, he was slamming my sister against the wall. Originally I came here for revenge or at least to avenge her but, when I met Test Subject 312, I just knew he was different. He wasn't much older than she was and he just had the sense of innocence and I knew that, if she was alive, she would've done anything to save him. That made me change my mind."

I couldn't agree more with Jeno. When you enter this place they drill into your mind that Level 5 is host to the most villainous criminals and dangerous experiments known to man but they were wrong. Minus the little blip when I first met Test Subject 312, he had never done anything to intentionally injure me.

So, in the following days, I had done everything possible to make him feel more at ease and comfortable. Today my bribe was pizza.

"You better appreciate this," I announced, placing the pizza box onto the steel table that they had fitted so that he didn't have to leave his cell to eat, "Dr Choi looked like she wanted to gut me when I told her I was bringing you pizza."

I opened the box and the comforting smell of cheese and tomato wafted around the room, masking the usual medical stink of chemicals.
"How many pieces?" I turned to him and he lifted up one finger. This was how we had been communicating; it was our own personal type of sign language.

I passed the pizza over to him on a paper plate, he wasn't allowed ceramic for obvious reasons, and he eagerly grabbed it. I didn't have to wait long before he had wolfed down the entire pizza, moaning at the taste. He looked at me, once he had finished, pulling a look that screamed 'more'. I laughed and passed him another piece watching as he began to hastily eat it.

This cycle continued until only one slice remained. Just as he was about to eat the final slice, he paused as his doe eyes blinked up at me. Before I even realised what happened, the pizza had been pressed against my mouth. My eyes widened in shock but I obediently opened my mouth as he fed me the pizza. It wasn't the greatest pizza I'd ever tasted, I'd only stolen it from the cafeteria after all, but this must have been a luxury for him so I faked a smile.

"This is amazing!" I said, attempting to chew the relatively bland pizza slice. Not only did it have a stale tang but had gone cold during its time sitting, on the side, waiting to be eaten.

Once I had eaten the pizza, I turned to Test Subject 312 and grabbed the medical box. I didn't have to tell him any more and his mouth automatically opened for the thermometer and he even angled his body for me to check his pulse. I was really proud of our progress.

"Is their anything else you would like me to bring you?"

He paused, biting his lip in thought before his eyes lit up. He held up his hand and began to draw shapes in the air, as if he was holding a pen.

"A notebook? A sketchbook?"

Instantly he smiled, his eyes creasing in the corners and he held up a thumb, rather dubiously, as if wondering if the thumbs up symbol still existed.

A sketchbook? I wondered what he would draw.