𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗

a/n: for bts' anniversary, should I do a special chapter from the POV of the other members?

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗 ]

"Hey Hayeon!"

I heard Jeno before I saw him and quickly turned around to see the boy rushing towards me, an eager smile on his face.

"What's up with you? You're grinning from ear to ear."

He laughed, a noise I wasn't used to hearing in my line of work, and replied tauntingly, "am I not allowed to be happy?"

"Sure you are but, you know, I wouldn't exactly call MediHeal Laboratories a place of sunshine and rainbows."

He pouted, pretending as if he was upset but continued to walk alongside me. Then, as if a switch had been flipped, he turned grave and serious, the smile completely wiped off his face. "Are you heading to your office? We need to talk in private."

I nodded and hastened my step, sensing that something was amiss with Jeno. I was used to him being sober and stern, a quality admired within his field, but the sudden change in personality had me questioning whether something was wrong. It didn't help that his eyes let flickering from side to side as if he was looking out for something and he had an uncomfortable grip on my wrist.

When we reached the door to my office, he snatched the keys from my fumbling hands and eagerly shoved the door open and ushered me inside. "What the hell Jeno! We're not reenacting a scene from James Bond. Drop the mysterious spy look."

An impatient cough interrupted my rant and I quickly spun to see Mr Manrari, my boss who had been absent for a long while, looking relatively worn and flustered.

"Sir! What are you doing here?"

"Oh I'm sorry Hayeon, I just had to grab something from my desk. I didn't mean to interrupt you and your boyfriend."

"Oh! We're not a cou-"

Jeno shot me a withering glare and I quickly shut up.

Mr Manrari paused for a second, nervously twitching with his suit lapel and continued. "I apologise for my absence. I had some...important issues to attend to. I assume you've been doing alright with Test Subject 312?"

Something was wrong, even Jeno could sense it. The whole atmosphere in the room was tense and awkward which was an uncommon sight for Mr Manrari, a man who was usually the type to break uncomfortable silence.

I remember the first day on the job when I'd felt like the world was on my shoulders. It sucked to be a newbie; it felt like everyone was staring at you like they were the predator and you were the prey but Mr Manrari hadn't been nearly as unwelcoming. In fact, he had almost been too friendly. But now, his whole demeanour had changed drastically.

He was swearing profusely and he kept reaching up to wipe it away with a faded handkerchief. He looked scruffy, as if he had decided to adorn the 'just rolled out of bed' look. He even looked worse than me which was saying something considering I had decided to wear the most ratty and threadbare lab coat going. There was something fishy going on.

"Sir, are you okay? Do you want to take a seat?" He did look a bit faint and I was relatively concerned that his legs were going to collapse beneath him.

"Ah no that fine, my dear. I only came in for some files of mine, I'll be leaving now." He stumbled slightly and knocked the desk on the way out but managed to leave the room without passing out.

"What in the world just hap-"

Jeno cut me off again by holding a finger up to his lips and motioning for me to stay quiet. My eyebrows knitted in confusion; today was a weird day.

He began to circle my room, searching for something. At first he looked at the tissue box. He shook it and then, when he wasn't satisfied, he began to pull the tissues out so they floated around the room creating a huge mess.

"What on earth are you doing?"

If looks could kill. He motioned angrily with his hands for me to be quiet and began his search once more.

The next victim was the pencil holder and then the lights and even the smoke detector. Finally he picked up the little red alarm clock that Mr Manrari had given me as a welcome present and opened the back where the batteries were supposed to lie. I didn't see what he removed but he was quick to dispose of it, his shoe crushing the object.

He gave the room another once over before sighing.

"That was a camera. They're getting suspicious."

"What? How did you know?"

Jeno smiled smugly but explained. "It's the first thing we learn in training. Always know your surroundings. Your little friend," he motioned his head to the spot where Mr Manrari had just been standing, "was setting us up."

"What! Mr Manrari wouldn't do that," I replied in outrage. The sweet, little man who I'd grown to like couldn't have done that, surely? Although, his tense attitude did made sense now.

Jeno didn't stop to argue and, instead walked up to one of the drawers in the filing cabinet. "He was probably forced but that doesn't matter. What did he say before he left?"

"That he was getting one of his files?"

"Yes, but this is your drawer."

My eyes widened and I stood next to Jeno, examining the contents of my drawer. It was normally locked but now the door was hanging open by its hinges. When I looked inside, however, everything looked ordinary. I let out a breath that I hadn't realised I'd been holding but Jeno remained tense.

"Where did you keep the notes that I gave you? Oh my god Hayeon, please tell me that you didn't keep them in here."

My heart missed a beat but I quickly shook my head. "They're in my bag."

"Grab it," he commanded, his tone deadly serious.

With a slight bit of hesitation, I edged my way over to my messenger bag and searched blindly for the papers. When my hand wrapped around the notes, that contained scraps of information about Jungkook and his friends, I let out a breath of relief. Thank goodness.

I handed them over to Jeno and he paused for a second before grabbing his lighter, from his pocket, and setting them alight.

"What on earth are you doing?" I squawked, watching the paper char to nothing but ash.

"The reason why I was on edge earlier was because I noticed another guard watching you in the hallway. They're watching you Hayeon. They're suspicious." He sighed, rubbing a hand over his face in exasperation. "You shouldn't go see Jungkook tonight."

It felt like I'd been hit by a truck and then proceeded to be run over. The prospect of not being able to check on Jungkook was alarming. Sure, I could see him during the day but only for a couple of minutes and I couldn't even speak to him. I was strictly there on business- take his temperature and heart rate and that's it. If I didn't turn up tonight, would he feel betrayed? My stomach lurched but I knew that Jeno was right.

"Fine, I won't see him. I'll be more careful."

As I spoke, I couldn't help but feel that Jeno looked slightly smug.