𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎

a/n: quarantine has really given me a lot of time to write so here's another update ;)

I know everyone is waiting for some juicy excitement to happen and I'm trying and it's coming soon but we've got to get past the more boring things first. sorry.

hope everyone's having a nice day!

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ]

In the following week, I was so busy that I felt as though I didn't have time to breath. For some odd reason, my work at the laboratory had multiplied tenfold and, with the added pressure of contacting Jungkook's friends, my days felt endless.

I could tell that Jungkook's spirits had lifted significantly after talking to the group; I had never seen him so happy. Even though he still had to suffer through the gruelling challenges that the laboratory flung at him, his aura remained positive. For the first time since I'd taken him under my wing I had seen his first true smile, bunny teeth and nose scrunch and all.

Unfortunately, I had not been able to share in his joy. The constant workload was becoming exhausting and I found myself struggling to stay awake during the day. I had tried to visit Jungkook consecutively for a couple of nights but, after falling asleep at my desk, I knew that it had to stop. It didn't help that he was consistently asking to phone his friends.

It's not that I didn't want him to be in contact with the people who made him truly happy, but it would be too suspicious. As a result of this, he hadn't spoken to them since that first time. I felt bad but I did make sure to relay all the messages that came through via text.

Most of all they were questions were from Namjoon asking for small details about the laboratory. Where the fire exits were located, easiest exit route, layout, etc. That also wasn't an easy task to complete and I often had to ask Jeno for help who I could tell had growing suspicions.
My nonchalant attitude to the 'failed' phone call and Jungkook's glee probably weren't helping his wariness.

With a sigh, I scribbled lazily on a scrap of paper letting the pen take control of the doodle. Work was the least appealing thing at that particular moment and if I had to do another batch of paperwork, I would've cried. It truly was procrastination at its finest.

A knock at the door shook me out of my daydream and I looked up to see Jeno entering the office adorned in his full soldier kit. Normally he would just wear a black shirt and jeans but today he was dressed up with a dark flak jacket and a taser gun tucked into his belt mere centimetres from his radio.

"Are you going to war?" I joked, standing up to meet him at the door.

"Haha, very funny," he muttered, adjusting the pocket on the vest. "I'm on Test Subject 312 duty today, I've got to be protected." He patted his gun and I scowled at the object. "Don't worry, I won't use it."

"If that's the case, what are you doing here?"

"It's training period, I thought you'd want to come along?" That was when I noticed the familiar figure of Jungkook, hanging close behind Jeno. He shot me a small smile, barely noticeable, and I returned the favour. Like usual, he had changed out of his orange jumpsuit into fitness gear but wrapped around his hands were a pair of steel cuffs.

"Sure, I'll come." I grabbed my lab coat and shrugged it over my outfit and redid my hair into a high ponytail. I needed a serious break from the stifling office.

We began to walk down the corridor, Jeno a few paces behind me and Jungkook when I felt a nudge in my side and turned to look at the boy. "Have you heard anything else?" He whispered under his breath, eyes scanning the hall for any onlookers.