Chapter 140: YZH VIII

The forest's silence sets an eerie impression. Wu Jing walks alongside me as we enter this impenetrable fog.

"Zi Huo, be careful. I sense something," Wu Jing warns.

"Mm." I nod and slow the movement of my steps.

The fog indeed is not natural. It is magic made. Just slightly, the air twists one's body to move where it wants, not where one's intention is. I can physically feel it move. Someone without cultivation may end up lost in this forever.

"Wu Jing, why don't you fly overhead to take a look?"

"Fine."

His robes flutter against the wind. Like the darkness of shadow, I could barely make out his figure leaving the mist.

He returns not too long after. "I can't see the village at all. It's almost as if this fog is blocking out its existence."

"This is odd. We are not dealing with normal villagers here. They want people out for a reason. I have to use Lan Hun to disrupt the spell."

I call Lan Hun into my right hand. The blue sword appears as soon as I mentally call for it. I close my eyes to locate where the most energy of dispersed magic was coming from.

There's seals coming from different directions. I won't be able to break them all for the moment, but can get rid of the ones blocking the entrance into the village. The nearest one is to the right of us, not too far.

I release Lan Hun from my hand. I hear it pierce through the seal, and the fog's thick pressure becomes less intrusive.

A large hand reaches out to strike. I sense it before it scratches my face and move a side.

"Zi Huo, you continue breaking the seals! I'll fight them!" I hear Wu Jing yell.

The sound of sword clashing against metal infiltrates the space. I close my eyes again to find the seals. Easily, I found eight more seals and had Lan Hun destroy them.

The thick air starts to dissipate into clarity. I could see Wu Jing fighting with a large winged demon. As the demon is about to grab him by the collar, I send Lan Hun flying toward its neck.

The creature leans backward to avoid my sword. However, a small cut slices across its neck.

Wu Jing pulls out his sword and stabs it through the shoulder.

"Wait, Wu Jing." I come forward to stop Wu Jing from killing it.

With his blade inside the demon, Wu Jing holds it tight.

"Why did you attack us?" I order the demon to tell.

In his low tone, he answers, "You are threats to the village... I cannot let you pass."

"What is this village? Why are you protecting it?"

The demon's mouth remains locked. Wu Jing stabs the sword in deeper, and commands it, "Say it!"

"Ugh... Demons... We are demons living in this village. We are not harming anyone... Just leave us be."

"Demon village?" I mutter out.

Wu Jing looks at me and then back at the demon. "Why are you demons living here?"

"We've lived here for hundreds of years. In order to live in peace and undetected by Bleak Night, we created this mist to keep humans away. Please believe me. We are just trying to... rebuild our lives in this world."

This large being admitted defeat in such a pitiful way.

I say to Wu Jing, "Release him."

"You really believe this demon? What if he's part of Wicked Mist?!"