Chapter 143: LK

"Xiao Kai, come out and have some breakfast!" I hear Na Li Jie calling for me.

Running from the Immortal Sects have been strangely uneventful. We have been living in a small farming village with a low profile, assuming the identities of siblings.

I often wonder... if Na Li Jie and I could ever pretend to be newlyweds. I never dared to say it out loud, wouldn't dare to. Surely, it would just make Na Li Jie uncomfortable.

After all, she is still an unmarried maiden. If we were to pretend to be husband and wife, one day she may never find a real partner. I worry for her virtue.

I was out late last night in the nearby city working as usual. Na Li Jie doesn't know about my work there. I don't want her to know. Whenever she asks, I play it off as though I just enjoy goofing around with Wu Jing Ge.

Stepping out to the small living space, I yawn as I stretch.

She made food again...I'll have to suffer once more.

I say, "You made breakfast?"

"Aw, eat some."

I sit down on the wooden stool and put a spoonful of congee in my mouth and is immediately met with the taste of salt and bitterness.

How can something bland like rice congee have this taste?!

Blurting out my thoughts I almost revealed my dissatisfaction. "Wow! How can food--"

She stares me with a soft curve of the lips. Resting her hands underneath her chin, she is waiting for words of flattery.

"How can food taste so good? Hahaha." I continue to put spoonfuls of rice gruel in my mouth and grab pieces of vegetables as well.

I'll do this for you, Na Li Jie.

"Where did you go last night? You didn't come home until late," she asks while slowly chewing on breakfast.

"Ah, I was out with Wu Jing Ge. Just had a few drinks and some food in the nearby city."

"You know how I feel about Wu Jing. Plus, I don't want you both to get into trouble. What if they find you?"

She thinks Wu Jing Ge is a bad influence on me...

"Na Li Jie, I'm always extra careful. Besides it's been five years, and we haven't run into anyone."

"That doesn't mean we should let our guard down."

Na Li Jie is smart. She's the reason we've been able to hide from the Immortal Sects for so long. I can only try to appease her for now.

"Yes! You're right. You're right. I'll try to come home early from now on," I smile.

Biting into a thickly cut green vegetable, I quickly chew and swallow. The tough texture tastes raw and uncooked.

Na Li Jie leaves to manage the wine she has been selling. I think Na Li Jie is truly talented. Not only is she skilled with the sword, her cultivation is also high. Without using her powers, she can still be very resourceful and sell wine to make money for us.

Although... she does well with business, it isn't enough. We live frugally in a hut made out of wood and straws. I just think this is too pitiful for someone like my Na Li Jie.

That's why two years ago when we first came to this village, I swore that I would become rich and buy the most beautiful manor in the country, hire the most loyal servants and live my days spoiling Na Li Jie with extravagant posessions. I'll hire a cook so skilled, Na Li Jie will never step foot into the kitchen again.