Chapter 146: LK IV

Every day I feel uneasy. Anxiety fills my veins. How could Na Li Jie have gone for three whole months?

She must hate me. Wanted to be rid of me. I have no appetite, even now I'm starting to miss her atrocious cooking.

"Where are you going?" I look up to see Wu Jing Ge in front of my path. I've been walking, walking for days. Down any road, any which way.

"You won't tell me where Na Li Jie is, so I'm going to find her on my own."

"I told you already. She's with my father."

"And where is your father?"

"I don't know! He moved to a new place and didn't tell me."

Walking pass him, I say, "I don't believe you."

He grabs my shoulder, stopping me from walking further.

"Hey! It's the truth. My father told me to look after you. Luo Na Li doesn't want to see you."

I freeze. "She doesn't want to see me?"

"I mean-- I don't know why my father said that, but at the moment Luo Na Li doesn't want to see you."

It's as if someone punched me in the gut. I'm so stupid. To go looking for her only to realize that she actually didn't want to see my face. I'm a bother. A nuisance.

Wu Jing Ge and I travel back to the farming village. The entire time passed by quickly. I was in a daze the whole time, barely said a word to Wu Jing Ge.

For days I stayed in bed. I don't do farm work nor go work in the city. I don't want to do anything. Wu Jing Ge is getting increasingly worried that I'll die.

"Get up and eat something." He sits at the side of my bed. I turn to the wall to avoid him.

"Look, I know you're upset about Luo Na Li. Don't you think you should at least show her how good you're doing without her?"

I don't want to show her how I'm better off without her. I just want her here like before.

Wu Jing Ge clears his throat. "Well, you have a guest. I'll wait outside."

I sit up quickly hoping that it is Na Li Jie who has come back. "Na Li Jie?!"

"Na Li Jie?" Xiao Feng frowns, "Were you expecting someone else?"

My heart calms itself, and I lean back to the wall.

"I brought you something to eat, Kai Gege." She hands me a plate of pancakes. How generous of her to put scallions and meat on the fried dish.

I remember cooking simple pancakes for Na Li Jie and I. Even though the pancakes wouldn't be as tasty, we'd enjoy it because we were together.

"I'm not hungry, thanks." I close my eyes. Maybe she'll leave after seeing my lethargic state.

I hear her place the ceramic plate down on a wooden surface.

She says softly, "I hear you've been sick ever since Xin Jiejie has gone. Are you in pain?"

"Yeah."

"Then... What can I do?"

"Bring her back to me."

"Huh?"

"Bring my sister back."

"Well, where has she gone?"

"I don't know. She doesn't want to see me."

"Then I guess I won't be much help..."

I sit up straight with wide eyes. "Unless..."