chapter eighteen - beer bottles

There is smoke everywhere and the sound of smashing glass echoes in my ears. A loud cackling laughter can be heard from behind the curtains, in the den.

I get free from Shawn's grip on my hand and throw the curtains open.

There are six people sitting on the couch in the den.

I recognise Sammy sitting on the end of the couch next to a dark skinned boy with black hair and blonde at the ends.

There are two other boys next to him and a girl on the end closest to us making out with one of them.

One has brown hair and is making out with a tanned black haired girl and the a other brown haired one was smoking and laughing at whatever Sammy was saying.

"Well if it isn't the one and only Cameron Dallas" the brunette that doesn't have his mouth occupied speaks up.

"Nate" Cameron says through gritted teeth.

"Oh come on, why the harsh tone?" He says, clearly high off whatever it is that he's smoking.

His voice was raspy and his eyes were dark and bloodshot. He wears a dark blue top with grey sweatpants and was relatively good looking.

He scans us all and his eyes light up.

"I see you've brought the whole gang. Nash, Shawn, Baby Grier" his words are slow and well calculated, making you think he has rehearsed them, "and who's the newbie?"

He raises his eyebrows and his eyes rake up and down my body, making me squirm with discomfort.

"This is Sarah" Cameron says.

"Sarah" He licks his lips and steps forwards.

Hayes stands in front of me, blocking his path.

Nate chuckles and shakes his head, "alright there baby blue eyes, can't a guy shake a girls' hand?"

Hayes narrows his eyes and steps back.

"Sorry, where are my manners" Nate starts.

He grabs the shoulder of the brown haired boy making out with the tanned girl, breaking up their session, "This is Tyler, Ty, you remember the boys from a couple years ago?"

I cringe at the thought of what happened a couple years ago.

Tyler nods and then lowers his eyebrows at me.

"Sarah" Nate answers his unofficial question.

Tyler does one of those guy nods where they like tilt their head up and raise their eyebrows.

"And this is Maz" he points at the darker skinned boy.

He waves and flashes a glistening white, but cheeky smile.

I almost feel like laughing because Maz doesn't really fit into any of this. He looks goofy to say the least and he seems way too cheery to be hanging out with this crowd.

Nash walks over to Sammy and hold his shoulders, shaking him a little.
He looks up and squints like Nash was the sun.

"Where's Gilinsky" Nash sounds out every word perfectly.

Sammy shrugs and takes another chug of whatever is in his green bottle.

"Through there" Maz says with a surprisingly charming english accent.

Nash nods to thank him and goes though to the kitchen, we all follow.

I hear another bottle smash as we walk into the kitchen.

Gilinsky is holding a black trash bag in his clenched fist and Johnson is clearly trying to grab it from him.

Cameron presses a finger to his lips, signalling for us to be quiet as we watch from the hallway.

"You can't throw it out there, the fans will see us, you know, just suspiciously throwing away a bag of beer bottles" Johnson yells, pointing at the crowd that had formed outside the bus.

We must've attracted a crowd when we came back.

Gilinsky clenches his jaw, "Ken will be back soon, if he sees this my summer's over", Gilinsky gestures to the bag under his firm grip.

I could hear the alcohol behind Gilinsky's raspy, deep voice. He didn't sound drunk but by looking at him you could definitely tell he was. His once bright eyes are now dark and angry. There are dark bags under his bloodshot eyes and he looks like he hasn't slept in years.

"That's not my fault, some of us don't want the fans thinking we're washed up drunks" Johnson sneers, trying to grab the bag.

I can tell Johnson isn't drunk, or at least not nearly as drunk as Gilinsky.

Gilinsky takes hold of the bag and shoved Johnson out the way but Johnson grabs Jack's shirt and spinks him around.

"Let go or I swear to god I'll punch you in the face."

I gasp and Hayes covers my mouth.

Cameron shakes his head as if to say he won't actually hit him which eases my worries.

Johnson looks into Gilinsky's angry, eyes and then down to the bag and out to the fans.

"No" Johnson says sharply.

Angrily, Jack further clenched his balled fist, draws his arm back and throws it forwards, in one swift motion, before Johnson has time to react.

His fist makescontact with Johnson's nose and a crunching sound is heard as Johnson falls to the floor and Gilinsky's knuckles beging to bleed.

I scream and the boys' eyes widen as they run into the room.

"What the fuck are you doing man?" Nash yells.

"He's being a fucking prick" Gilinsky screams.

Johnson sits up, his face covered in blood.

"What the hell", Johnson yells, "you fucking broke my nose".

"You fucking deserved it" Cameron holds Gilinsky back.

I run in, help Johnson up and guide him towards the door.

"What the fuck are you doing here" Gilinsky growls at me.

"Don't fucking talk to me"

I can't even look at him, not after everything I had found out about him today and what I had just seen.

He is a monster.