chapter twenty six - love doctor

Assuming the attire for this evening will be casual, I stay in the same outfit after showering, reapplying my makeup and layering on more jewellery.

"So you'd actually rather go on a date with Gilinsky than come to a club with the rest of us?" Madison tries to make me feel guilty whilst concentrating on putting a necklace on.

"Well I didn't know the option of partying was on the table and I can't exactly back out of the date now" I lie, acting as if I'd rather go with the others.

"Just a tip, I would go without the necklace. If there's one thing I've learned it's that you don't want anything in the way when you're throwing up all over the place, especially not a pretty necklace like that" I advise her and she thanks me before discarding the pendant.

To be honest I didn't even know if this was a date, for all I know Gilinsky may be expecting to get lucky by the end of the night and I can assure you he most certainly won't.

"Alrighty then, I guess you leave me no choice, I'm obliged by my own consciencd to tell you that Jack is probably expecting sex" her words are familiar as they have been running through my head like Usain Bolt for the better half of two hours but to hear them out loud feels strange and in a way, hurtful.

"I know bu-"

"No buts, I've known the kid for long enough to know that he will make you feel on top of the world, like you're the only girl he'll ever want. Hell, he may even make you think you've changed him. But girl, he doesn't mean well"

I'm at a loss for words and I'm starting to regret agreeing to the date, Madison's words hold such certainty and maybe even experience.

"But if you're looking for a hook up then make sure to use protection" she lightens the mood and gives me thumbs up causing me to throw a pillow at her face which surprisingly hits on target.

"I don't know what I'm looking for" I mumble just as I hear a knock at the bedroom door and Madison slips into her bathroom.

I open the door to Hayes with his arms folded across his chest, sulking like a five year old.

"What's got your knickers in a twist?"

"Everyone's going out clubbing and Carter says I won't look old enough to get in"

I laugh lightly at his eagerness.

"Well you look older than I did when I was your age"

"Not old enough to go clubbing" he huffs and flops on my bed, making himself at home.

"Everyone treats me like a baby around here when I've done plenty of shit. This one time I-"

I reach forwards and cover his mouth, "I'd love to hear that story some time, maybe when you're not yelling at the top of your lungs and your older brother isn't in the other room" I gesture to Nash in the living room with Carter and Cameron.

"Hey! Sarah you're not dressed for clubbing. Are you not going? Ooh we can hang out, we could sneak into the club or-"

Hayes is interrupted yet again, this time by Gilinsky who walks into the room and interlocks his hand with mine.

"Sorry kiddo, she's mine for the evening"

His casual tone sets a fire off in the pit of my stomach but I unlock our hands as I don't want Hayes to feel bad.

"Oh" he looks between the two of us.

"Then can I pleeaaase come with" he begs.

Gilinsky lowers his eyebrows, "can't you just order room service and watch cartoons" he growls.

I rest a hand on his chest to stop him from exploding, "we can't just leave him here"

"Sure we can! When I was a kid I loved hotel rooms"

Hayes rolls his eyes, "I'm literally turning sixteen in like two months"

"Ooh congrats" Gilinsky's tone is harsh, "let's go"

"Okay look, we can take him and we'll find him a cure girl that he can take to a movie or something" I try to compromise, looking at Gilinsky and back to Hayes, who has a disgusted look on his face.

"What do I look like to you? The love doctor?" He huffs.

"It's that or nothing" Gilinsky gives in.

Hayes lowers his eyebrows and looks at both of us several times in search of sympathy and it takes every fibre in my being not to give it to him.

"Fine" he groans and leaves the room.