chapter thirty five - sweatshirt

This is honestly the most peaceful I've been in weeks. Ever since school ended everything has been so heightened, it's like my life was on crack and now it's finally going to rehab.

The sky is unbelievably bright, the stars and moon alone are left to illuminate it.

I glance over at Jack, his dark eyes reflecting the moonlight perfectly and he seems mesmerized.

I look back up to the sky for a few moments before he breaks the silence.

"Madison's a bitch"

I roll my eyes at the mention of her name. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her, I just don't see her reasoning behind the outbreak.

"So I've been told"

He chuckles, "you know, I hate to say it, but maybe I'm the reason Madison hates you"

I nearly choke on his arrogant words.

"Yeah I'm sure you hate to say it"

"No, seriously. After me and Madison hooked up a while back, whenever we've been at a party together - she turns automatic slut mode. Like this one time, we were at a kickback and she started acted drunk and began falling all over me but I swear to god there was not a drop of alcohol in her system. She did it at a club this one time too, a couple weeks before we came."

This time I actually do choke.

His words were spoken so nonchalant that I nearly question whether or not he is telling the truth. Although I know he'd have no reason to lie.

I want to know all the details about when they had hooked up but I decide that's probably what he would want.

I roll onto my stomach, "well, aren't you used to that?" I say, fiddling with my fingers.

"Girls throwing themselves all over you?" I say without eye contact to convince him that it doesn't bother me.

He shrugs and sits up.

"It's whatever"

I nod and he looks at me.

"Surely you are too" he says and I look at him.

"I'm what?"

"Used to having guys throw themselves at you?"

I shake my head.

"I call bullshit, not one guy has ever tried to get with you?"

"It's confusing. Like, for you, girls make it their missions to make you theirs but they settle for one night hook ups. For me, guys will just want to hook up, and it feels shitty because you know they don't actually like you for you"

I'm not too sure why I'm opening up to Jack all of a sudden when I swear not even an hour ago we weren't talking.

"Are you saying you want someone to make you theirs?" he looks up to face me.

"I'm just saying that I respect myself enough to know I deserve more than a fuck and chuck"

"If this is some kind of girl code warning then just know, those are not my intentions"

I finally feel as though I have gotten some sort of closure with the situation, like a gigantic weight has been lifted off my shoulders to know that he has no plan of trying to get with me and then leave like all the others.

However, I'm still apprehensive, due to his reputation.

"But you have to realise that it's not because of you"

"What?" I ask.

"Some guys are intimidated by certain girls so once they seem to take a liking in them, they take what they can and run" he says.

"That's never been my experience"

"Trust me it has. You just don't know it. I bet there have been hunders of guys that have wanted to fuck you senseless but have just been too intimidated by you"

I laugh at his graphic detailing.

"Because I'm very intimidating"

"You'd be surprised" he mumbles.

I nod and get up from my place on the ground.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm cold, be right back"

I make my way to the stairwell when something hits me in the back.

Jacks red nebraska sweatshirt lays on my shoulder and I laugh at him.

He shrugs, "I undress quickly"

He is left in a black shirt and I re join him on the edge of the roof, slipping his warm sweatshirt on and instantly being engulfed by the masculine, musky scent.

"Can I ask you something?" he says, looking out onto the city lights.

"Shoot"

"Do girls like wearing guys clothes?"

"Oh please, like you've never let a girl borrow your clothes after a hook up or something"

I clenches his fists at his sides.

"Actually, no" he says bluntly.

I suddenly feel bad, maybe he doesn't appreciate my constant reminders of his.. lifestyle.

"It smells nice" I mumble.

He dips his head towards me and smirks.

"Thanks"

I lay down and look back to the sky for what feels like hours before Jack gets up and leans over the edge of the building.

"They're back" he says quietly.

I jump up, "I need to talk to Madison"

"Why do you have to be so fucking nice" he groans.

I roll my eyes and he continues, "she's probably just jealous"

"Of?"

"You" he says and I open the door to the strairwell as he follows.

"Funny joke. She has literally nothing to be jealous about, we're so unalike"

He jumps a couple steps in front of my and turns to block my path, "Okay well I'll put the peices of the puzzle together for you. If she's all that and I only hooked up with her once.. ish, yet I'm choosing to hang out with you and get to know you. What does that make you?"

I look down to the floor but I feel his eyes burning holes into the top of my head.

I look up to face him "naive" I mumble.

He laughs and I walk past him.

Honestly, I know he probably means it as a compliment but I have no clue how to interpret it.

I go to open the door for the 10th floor when Jack stops me again, of course.

"And for the record, yeah you and Madison are unalike-"

I look down to my shoes, preparing myself for an insult or taunting joke.

"You don't have to wear a push up bra like she does"

He winks at me and walks through to enter the hallway, acting like he didn't just metaphorically stab me in the stomach.

I choose to ignore the question of how he knows my underwear preference, or Madison's for that matter, and pretend like it doesn't bother me.

I mean, usually I would be against the sexual remarks but honestly with that voice, he could tell me I looked fat and it would still give me shivers.

Great, just add something new to the never ending list.