chapter twenty one - thank you

His eye's are dark.

His fists are clenched.

With every step I take he grows angrier and the burning flame behind his bloodshot eyes grows hotter and fiercer.

"What"

The word sends shivers down my spine.

His tone is harsh, but not threatening. Rude but not painful.

"Oh you know, just getting some more ice for Johnson, you know, your friend, the one you punched."

His eyes widened from my courageous tone which I'm certain he was not expecting.

"Yeah his eye's kind of swollen shut, so if you don't mind" I wave my hand signalling for him to move out of my way,

"I-is he okay?"

"Careful Gilinsky, you almost sound like you care"

"Of course I fucking care you slut"

"You know, the word slut is so overused that it becomes brutally inoffensive. Besides it's irrelivent in this conversation which seems to be going no where so move"

"You're scared" he mumbles.

He looks down at my hand which I hadn't realised is shaking.

"But hell, you can sure talk the talk" he chuckles.

I ignore him and grab a bag of frozen peas from the freezer "I'm not scared of you, and if you really want to show Johnson you care then give him this yourself instead of hiding down here like a baby" I shove the bag to his chest.

"Fuck you"

"Feeling's mutual"

As he glares at me, I notice the scratches running across his face and neck - some more serious than others.

"And about Johnson, he's fine but it could've been a lot worse" I return the glare.

"Knowing you" I mumble.

"Knowing me?" his glare stiffens.

"Oh Sarah, what have you been told?" he chuckles.

"N-nothing" I stutter, realising I am not supposed to know what I do.

"Hm, what was it that they told you about? The drugs? The alcohol? The anger?"

I gulp.

He nods, "well, I can assure you babe, not all fires begin with a spark, some are ignited from an outside force"

"That doesn't make sense, someone can't just become like you over night"

I pause,

"There's always a flame, whether you choose to admit it or not, a part of you has always been like this"

Instead of giving me a mean look he lowers his eyes as it to say you're right.

"W-what happened?" I stutter and gestur to his face, scratches trace across his sharp jawline and down to his neck.

He shrugs and wipes some of the blood off the from his chin that had dripped down form his jaw and he doesn't seem to take much notice of my change in conversation.