Chapter 23

"I've counted the slots. There are thirty-four missing on the front and twenty feathers missing on the back" Panuleon said as Luka was sitting on the couch while his dad tended to his sore wings.

Just then, Jed entered the dining room with a pile of black and gold feathers in his hands.

"I don't know if this is all of them, but there was a lot in the corridor."

Luka's eyes brightened which drove Rayvon crazy. He had his elbow on the table with his chin resting on the palm of his hand. He was staring at Luka as he sat by his feet on the floor.

Oliver watched his love-struck son. It was new for him to see him this way but it was also very sweet.

Jed sat on the other side of Panuleon and gently placed the feathers onto his lap.

Corey began to pick them up and find the correct slots for the correct feathers. It will take a while but it's completely worth it.

Panuleon lost a feather once and Jenny, Zachariah's girlfriend turned out to be the one who had found it. This was before she knew angels existed.

Corey's dad had stolen the feather from her so Panuleon could put it back. His wings didn't feel right if there was a feather missing. But when he shined his wings to re-attach it, Jenny walked into the room.

That's how she discovered he was an angel, many, many years ago.

But he knows how it feels to lose something so precious.

Also, the reporters must have been holding on hard to pull out this many.

Luka sat patiently as Rayvon also helped to re-attach his feathers.

* * * * *

Duke, Madison and Vinny were in a meeting.

It has been forty-five minutes since the reporters broke into their home and every single one was now sitting in the same room as the Vanderwood's.

To say the least, they were terrified.

Vinny's glare was extremely scary but Duke had the same expression and that was much worse.

Madison had no reaction, but that was rare to see so even she looked intimidating.

Vinny had been away from Oliver for fifteen minutes, so they had plenty of time to give these people a piece of their minds.

He slowly stood up and slammed his hands on the desk, making everyone jump.

They were in the town hall and the big room made the noise echo.

His dark glare moved it's way around the nervous faces. A lot of the reporters were younger than him and probably in their early twenties.

"Do you know what it's like?" His deep voice filled the paparazzi's ears with dread. Duke and Madison sat back. They were not going to stop their son from tearing into them. They deserved it. "To feel so scared that you can't even defend yourself?"

The room was deadly silent as nobody dared to move a muscle.

"Do you know what it's like to feel fear like that?"

Some of the female reporters wanted to cry. Most of them were quickly regretting their decision.

"He's a sixteen-year-old boy!" Vinny yelled, making everyone jump. "How many of you knew that Luka suffers anxiety and can't handle stressful situations?"

Everyone's heart's started beating faster.

"How many!" Vinny yelled.

To his disgust, everyone slowly raised their hands.