Chapter 58

"Your pet?" Duke repeated.

"Yes. Her name is Orin and I've looked after her since she was a kitten."

Oliver looked between his soulmate and the cat. He found it almost amusing that it was black.

"I like the name Orin," He said and carefully stretched his fingers out so the cat could get used to his scent.

She sniffed him and eventually rubbed her head against them.

Vinny watched Oliver, loving that he was right in his arms and loving that he was stroking his pet.

"You don't mind?" He asked.

"About Orin?" Oliver questioned, making Vinny nod. "Of course not. Did you get her to keep you company? Or did you find her? When did you get her and why did-"

"Oliver" Vinny interrupted but he missed it so much when he exploded all of his questions out like that. "One question at a time."

"Sorry," He said and smiled once more. "I've got a lot to ask so I'm going to apologise in advance."

Vinny's kind expression was melting his heart.

"It's okay, I've mentally prepared myself for your interrogation."

There was a little noise of sniffling, making Oliver and Vinny glance up.

Jed was trying so hard to keep back his emotion.

"I'm sorry, it's just, I've missed seeing you both together like this. Oliver, it's so nice to see you smile again."

Vinny's heart hurt a little bit. His soulmate must have experienced terrible things for his smile to disappear for longer than half an hour.

John put his arm around Jed's shoulders and kissed his temple. He loved how angels are so in touch with their affection.

Jed gave him a little smile. He sometimes still surprised himself that he and John are a couple.

"I don't like cats" Duke then said.

Vinny rolled his eyes as Orin simply sat down next to him.

"Well you'll have to get over it, I'm keeping her."

"Son, I don't think I want a cat in this-"

"Well tough, I'm keeping her."

Madison nudged Duke, making him close his mouth.

"Why are you so attached to the cat?" She asked kindly. She didn't care that he brought it home with him, she was just happy that he was home.

Vinny sighed. He had to talk about his feelings now.

"I found her when she was lost. We both had nowhere to go and no family or anyone really" He said and watched her as he spoke. "So I looked after her and I guess it made these two years a little easier with her to distract me from being away from Oliver."

Duke knew that Vinny had always wanted a pet but never asked. He wished he came back with a dog instead, though.

He isn't a cat person and he didn't think his son was either.

But then again, he didn't think Vinny was a lot of things and he proved him to be very wrong.

"That is the cutest thing I've ever heard," Oliver said before giving Orin a proper stroke. "You looked after each other."

Orin let a cute meow escape before jumping into Vinny's arms and licking his bruised face.

"Stop it" He chuckled and pulled his head back. "So, I hope you can understand why I can't just give her away. I basically raised her."