Chapter 41

Jed's face looked rather shocked at the thought of being called someone's stepdad.

He looked at John who was smiling at Oliver. He loved how much acceptance his happy mind was filled with.

"Being a stepdad, do I have to do anything? What does that word mean exactly?"

John chuckled and squeezed his hand once more.

"No" Oliver grinned. "I'm thirty-six, I'm pretty sure I don't need babysitting or looking after."

"Debatable," Vinny said but Oliver ignored him.

"Oh, so being a stepdad is a word used for a parent that's not technically your parent?"

"Yes," John said. "But don't worry, it's just a name, like Grandad."

Jed nodded but raised his eyebrows when Oliver hugged him tight.

"I'm glad my dad fell in love with you" He mumbled into his shoulder.

Jed hugged him back with a heartwarming smile.

"It means a lot to hear you say that Oliver. Thank you."

Vinny was starting to fidget, he needed some Oliver time too.

Duke could see him wringing his hands and it was distracting him.

"Have you told Zachariah?" He asked as Oliver pulled away and connected his gaze with his vampire.

"Oh, no I haven't. I'll ask him to come. He should know" Jed said before Oliver got up and walked over to his soulmate.

"Wait, don't sit-"

"Too late," Oliver said and sat on Vinny's lap.

Vinny grumbled but wrapped his arms around him.

"Don't you dare get up."

Oliver chuckled and wrapped his arms around his shoulders but he could feel Vinny's affection and wouldn't embarrass him like that.

* * * * *

20 minutes later.

"So, John and I are soulmates," Jed said. He, John and Zachariah was standing in the Vanderwood gardens.

Jed almost held his breath as he watched the angel, but no reaction came.

John felt like his face was on fire. Every time someone says that they are soulmates, it feels incredibly real.

"I know. I was meaning to talk to you about it. But congratulations" Zachariah beamed and placed a gentle hand on Jed's shoulder.

The angel was stunned.

"You knew?"

"Yes. Jeduthun, I know you very well. There wasn't a single glance or subtle smile that I missed. I noticed that you'd brush against each other when you passed in the hallway and that your eyes would brighten when you saw him. It was very easy to detect that you had connected a bond, I was just waiting for you to tell me because I thought you might not be ready."

"Wow," Jed chuckled. "I can't believe you noticed but Panuleon didn't."

"Yes, but he has his soulmate and a child to distract him, I often meet you without Jenny so my full attention is always on you both."

"Well, thank you for not telling anyone and understanding that we needed time."

"It's okay. Finding your soulmate is a big shock but you're both together forever now and that is one of the best feelings imaginable."