Chapter 16

The next morning I woke up to a bunch of noise downstairs which was confusing because Embry didn't stay with me last night because he had patrol. Slowly, I got up and threw on a Nirvana t-shirt and black leggings, pulling my waist length brown hair into a ponytail.

Then proceeded downstairs with caution making my way into the kitchen where the noise was coming from. Peeking through the doorway I saw a boy, about my height, with short curly hair standing at the stove, frying bacon. Under different conditions I would've screamed but I let out a sigh before making my way into the room.

"For God's sake Quil I thought you were a predator," I state pretending to be frightened as I jokingly place my hand over my heart.

He laughed "The worst thing I could possibly do is accidentally burn your house down," he says, hanging me a plate of bacon and eggs.

"Maybe so, but if you weren't my best friend then it would seem creepy that you just broke into my house, especially to make me breakfast. It's a good thing I don't have neighbors or Chief Swan would have you in handcuffs," I say sitting down at the breakfast bar.

He turned off the stove and sat next to me with his own plate of food, a jug of apple juice placed in front of us. "Well it seems that you're my only friend now so might as well make the most of it," he says in between bites of toast.

His tone was sad, and it now confirmed that he knew Jake had joined "The Cult" just as Embry had, leaving him without his best friends. There was a part of me that wanted to explain everything to him because it was going to happen to him soon, but it was not my secret to tell nor is it right for me to just throw him into the supernatural world that coexists quite plainly with the one around us.

All my time on this Earth has thought when to make things easier for the people around me and when not too. Although it is rare for me to even befriend humans for the fear of revealing my secret, but most of the people I've befriended are in a sense not entirely human. It was best that I left Quil in the dark until he shifted, because once he does then everything will fall into place.

"Maybe things will get better then all three of you will be reunited," I say nudging his shoulder, trying to make him feel better "But I'll be here if you ever need me,"

"You know that you're an amazing friend and I don't know what I'd do without your advice," he informs as he finished off his breakfast, his comment made me smile.

"Right back at you, but as much as I'd love to chill here all day with you, we've got school and it takes about 20 minutes to get to mine," I say grabbing our dishes and placing them in the dishwasher.

"You're right, well I'll text you if I want to be graced with your presence," he jokes giving me a quick hug before we both made our way outside. He hopped in my truck and I drove him to school before making my way to mine.

~~~

School was boring as always, nothing interesting ever happens here and I'm not one for gossip anyway. But now school was out and my friends and I were making our way to the parking lot. I was lost in my thoughts as always when a voice brought me back to reality.

"Oh my god, hot guys at twelve o'clock. They are so buff," Jessica's voice hits my super heightened ears making me look over to where she was looking. Drool practically falling from her mouth.

Standing on or around my truck was the pack minus Sam, all shirtless like always. Paul and Jared were in the flatbed having a casual conversation. Jake was leaning against the passenger side door, probably hoping to see Bella, and Embry was sitting on the hood gazing up at the sky.

Of course most of the girls were drooling over them, mostly because our school doesn't have much eye candy. I think there are more to people than just looks, it's what's on the inside that really matters but that's just my opinion.

"Who are those guys?" Jess asks looking over at me tugging slightly on my sleeve as if trying to figure out if she was dreaming or not.

"That would be my boyfriend and our friends," I laughed as her jaw dropped and eyes widened.

"Are any of them single?" She questions causing me to wink at her.

"Yeah but they are more of the waiting for the right person sort of guys," I say leaving her in shock as I made my way over to them. Embry jumped off the hood gracefully before giving me a simple peck on the lips.

"Are you guys trying to put me on the hit list of all the girls at school?" I asked as I saw girls glaring at me, as if being new around here wasn't enough.

"It's not our fault that we're devilishly handsome Nye, it's in the genes," Jared teased making Paul smirk.

"I know, what was I thinking?" I joked placing my hands on my head shaking it slightly. They all looked at me as if I kicked a puppy, which I would never do. I winked at the before hopping into the cab of the truck, followed by Embry whilst Jake hopped in the back with Jared and Paul. With that we made our way back to Emily's.....