Chapter 160: WYH V

"Thanks a lot, Teacher Wu!" Wei runs away thanking me for something I did not agree to.

"Wei, you--"

Running down the hall of the Imperial Academy, the last of his silky white robes disappears around the corner.

Another colleague has been kicked out from the most spoiled royalty's quarters. In his place, Wei has appointed me to continue the tutoring role.

What have I ever done to him?

The first lesson has started. I make my way to Liang Xing Residence. A palace maid greets me and leads the way inside.

Tricks already in place before I even enter the study. A bucket of water sits a top the door, unbalanced and about to fall.

"You go first," I say to the maid.

"Ha?" She hesitates.

"Go in."

"Y-- Yes." She reluctantly pushes the door open and the bucket falls. Pulling her back by the arm, the liquid doesn't land on her but onto the floor. Untidy vegetables flushed in with the waves of dirty water.

"What is this?" I stare her down.

"The-- This wasn't me..."

"Clean this up now."

"Yes, my lord."

Ultimately, I ended up waiting the whole day and my student never showed.

The next day I went back. Before sttepping inside the room, I notice the floor is covered with an oily substance. One step on the surface and I would surely fall on my ass. I avoid going in the room and stood outside. Another day wasted.

Aggravating antics like this went on for a week. Sticky syrup plastered on furniture, a hornet's nest flung inside the room while the doors were locked from the outside, water dumped from the roof with chicken feathers following.

Luckily, I was saved by my own reflexes each time. However, I could never catch the culprit. My patience grew thin. I was assigned to guide a student's learning and couldn't deny this duty, but I can only put up with so much mischievous. Even if this unruly student was of royal descent, there should be boundaries one must not stoop below.

Again, I return. A new palace maid greets me and sits me down in the study. Strangely, nothing is amiss.

The maid enters the room with a single cup painted with red flowers. A lid covers the hot tea.

"Please have some tea while you wait, my lord."

Observing her demeanor, I find her entire character to be suspicious. I was always greeted by the same maid but for some reason today this new maid is here. She seems impatient as she watches me set the lid aside. Putting the cup to my lips, I almost take a sip before setting the cup down again.

"How long have you served her highness?" I question.

She straightens her back and replies, "I'm new to her highness' residence."

"Have you been a servant all your life?"

"Yeah?"

"Pale complexion, soft hands, manicured nails, plumped face. The plain palace uniform you are wearing is too small for your frame. You don't seem to have worked labor a day in your life."

Her nose twitches with her eyes revealing concealed fury.

"And... you forgot to replace your shoes with another pair. Pearl embedded patterns on high grade silk? Your highness should have known that no servant could ever afford such a luxury item."