Baizen's Back

Madeline's father had a package that needed to be delivered to Chuck who would then hand it over to his father.

She knew not to ask questions regarding the deal and just did as she was told. She caught a cab to the hotel Chuck lived at.

As she walked in the doorman stopped her.

"Mr. Bass has left for a basketball game" he informed her.

"Thank you" she called out as she headed outside to hail another cab. She knew Nate and Chuck would often play basketball at the park on the corner of E Houston and Chryste Street.

The a short cab ride later and Maddie jumped out throwing a fifty to the cab driver. A few feet away was Chuck talking to Nate.

"Chuck" Maddie called out the with envelope in her hand.

"Madeline Rose, what a pleasure" Chuck said in his sinister voice. Maddie internally rolled her eyes.

Just as she made her way closer to Chuck, a person she had hoped to never see stood in front of her.

"Can I help you?" Chuck asked. Maddie had been glued in her spot starring at Carter.

"Oh I uh would have left this with the doorman but you know it's from my dad" she softly said. Nate furrowed his eyebrows at the two.

"Oh thanks. My dad will get this tonight" Chuck said.

"I'll see you guys around" Maddie replied quickly turning on her heel as Carter walked towards the boys.

Maddie quickly glanced back to see Carter talking to Nate. She ran towards the corner of the street trying to haul a cab.

"Madeline Rose how are you?" Carter asked wrapping an arm around the girl. Her body paused at the touch of his hand on her shoulder.

"Taxi" he yelled as one came towards them. He opened the door and pushed her in.

She sighed knowing she was going to be in deep trouble once he was done with her.

"So you think you can run off without saying hello" Carter asked.

"What do you want?" She asked looking out the window.

"You owe me, I need you to play cards tonight. You know the usual setup" he explained. Maddie had played cards with Carter a couple of times. The game was rigged, setup so one person lost big time.

"One game and then I'm out. I'm serious" Maddie lectured. Carter smiled and leaned back on the seat.

"I heard you got clean" Carter said breaking the silence.

"I'm not going to go back and use if that's what you're implying. You ruined my life and my relationship with my friends and father" she snapped.

"I'll see you tonight" Carter responded hopping out of the cab. Maddie sighed almost ready to burst into tears in the back of cab.

Later that night Maddie showed up to the location Carter had texted her. 5 star banquet in Queens which was definitely a different pace for her since she normally stays in Manhattan.

She walked in wearing a skimpy black dress incase she had to flirt and tease with the culprit.

"Boys, Maddie, Maddie, boys" Carter exchanged. Maddie weakly smiled before sitting down.

"Who's the culprit?" Maddie asked. Carter smiled creepily.

"You'll see soon" Carter responded.

A half an hour later Nate walked in.

"Glad you could come" Carter greeted, Nate gave me a weird look before sitting down.

"Let's play" another man at the table said.

The table played for hours straight into the morning. Nate was actually a better player than they all predicted making this a little harder for them.

The rounds become higher in stakes and everyone's eyes were on each other.

"Hey no phones" Carter whispered.

"Oh, right. Sorry man" Nate whispered back. He looked at Maddie who tried to tell him to leave but he wasn't picking up on her signs.

"How much you up?"

"$5,000" Nate responded.

"That's insane, Amigo" Carter nonchalantly said. He was beginning to wheel him in. Luring him and his money.

"I should probably quit while I'm ahead, huh?" Nate asked.

"What? We just started" Carter said quite harshly.

"Well, I've had a good run. Plus it's better to leave while your up"

"I'm not- I'm not gonna let you do that, bro. The tables about to get smaller. People are gonna start showing their real stuff. Up until now it's been card... for now on its adventure" Carter countered. Nate looked at him and had agreed to the bait.

"Let's hit it" I said looking at Nate.

The game picked up and soon Nate was losing. He looked to Carter for a way out.

"Hey are you guys okay with a marker?" Carter asked. One of the guys pulled out a pen and paper for Nate to write down a figure.

"You sure he's good for it?" Another man asked.

"I'm sure. He's an Archibald" Carter responded.

"$10,000" Nate called.

"Show your cards" the dealer demanded. The Nate flipped his cards and he lost to the other man.

"Look I don't, um, it might take me a little while to get the money" Nate panickly explained.

"Wait, wait, wait, a little while?" Carter said shocked. "Come on man snap your fingers"

"Wait a minute are you in with these guys?" Nate asked. Maddie stood up from her seat.

"I have the money for Nate. Just drop it" she said going to grab her bag. She quickly dropped the cash on the table.

She had come prepared just incase she had to buy herself out of this.

"Sit down" Carter yelled at Maddie.

"Woah man don't yell at her" Nate said standing up.

"Carter just take the money and go" Maddie sternly said.

"That's not how this works. Maddie you owe me $20,000 anyways" Carter said with a grin.

"I'm leaving let's go Nate" Maddie said walking out. Carter grabbed her by her wrist and Nate jumped up grabbing Carter by his shirt collar.

The other men at the table jumped up as well and Maddie instantly became frightened.

"Let them go" Chuck said from the doorway.

"Who let you in here, Bass?" Carter asked.

"He set me up. He has Maddie in on it too" Nate said.

"No one forced his hand. Your boy lost fair and square. Plus my deal with her is none of your concern" Carter said.

Chuck whispered something to Carter who let Nate go.

"Maddie too" Chuck said.

"Nah, she owes me. $20,000 to be exact"

"I just paid you 10 and I don't owe you anything" Maddie snapped.

"Maddie let's go" Chuck said once more looking at Carter. She quickly grabbed her bag and walked out with Nate and Chuck.

They hopped into the limo Chuck had taken here.

"So more secrets, Madeline Rose you intrigue me more and more everyday" Chuck said.

"Why were you there?" Nate asked. Maddie bit her lip unsure of how to go about explaining her situation.

"Over the summer I got caught up in some trouble. He lured me in yesterday. I couldn't say no" she said.

Nate and Chuck took the vagueness as a hint not to ask Maddie anymore questions.